The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Rodney Strong Alexander Crown Vy Cabernet

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2003 Rodney Strong Alexander Crown Vy Cabernet

by Jenise » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:56 am

A friend of mine who's ITB brought a magnum of this old stalwart of Sonoma to dinner the other night, excited that he could pick it up at $22/ea his cost. The idea was to decide if it was as good a buy as it looked. Well...it wasn't a slam dunk. Pretty green, in fact, at first and thinner than expected (no, we didn't decant). But not savagely green, not bitter, just a definite tobacco green quality that needed a bit more fruit to round it out. The body was on the lighter side, acidity was a bit high for both California and the usual RSACV but for those of us who drink more European wine than anything else not a problem, and the tannins were silky. (I have no idea what kind of vintage 03 was in Sonoma, but based on this and the far-better Laurel Glen, the only two I've had, I'm guessing it was cool.) After close to two hours, it developed a bit more richness on the midpalate and hinted at the modest black cherry and plum fruit that the remaining half bottle should develop over the next 1-2 days. Not a bad buy when the MSRP on the 750 is around $40ish and I'm certain Gary's going to buy a bunch for his own cellar, but that's a decision driven solely by price. In these recessionary times, it's possible to spend just a little more but get a lot more.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2003 Rodney Strong Alexander Crown Vy Cabernet

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:01 pm

It's also possible to spend a lot less and get a whole lot more (if you're not wedded to Cal Cab).
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

Re: WTN: 2003 Rodney Strong Alexander Crown Vy Cabernet

by Covert » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:58 pm

Jenise wrote:A friend of mine who's ITB brought a magnum of this old stalwart of Sonoma to dinner the other night, excited that he could pick it up at $22/ea his cost. The idea was to decide if it was as good a buy as it looked. Well...it wasn't a slam dunk. Pretty green, in fact, at first and thinner than expected (no, we didn't decant). But not savagely green, not bitter, just a definite tobacco green quality that needed a bit more fruit to round it out. The body was on the lighter side, acidity was a bit high for both California and the usual RSACV but for those of us who drink more European wine than anything else not a problem, and the tannins were silky. (I have no idea what kind of vintage 03 was in Sonoma, but based on this and the far-better Laurel Glen, the only two I've had, I'm guessing it was cool.) After close to two hours, it developed a bit more richness on the midpalate and hinted at the modest black cherry and plum fruit that the remaining half bottle should develop over the next 1-2 days. Not a bad buy when the MSRP on the 750 is around $40ish and I'm certain Gary's going to buy a bunch for his own cellar, but that's a decision driven solely by price. In these recessionary times, it's possible to spend just a little more but get a lot more.

Are you sure you have enough liver left for that sort of slumming? :) I'm overactive today on this Forum because my email server is down and I can't do any work without it. I am about to hang it up and go to camp early (since Lynn is already north delivering a sales presentation) carrying a 1999 Fleur de Bouard, among other bottles, to fill out my new camp wine cooler. Really enjoyed the '98 about a month ago. I hope I still have enough memory of it to compare this one. But I probably won't drink it or the St-Emilion I commented on earlier, tonight, because they will be traveling for an hour to get there. looking forward to some nice Claret, or a Burg, if I can talk Queeny into it, with game hen, the country French way we often do it, grilled outside with honey and mustard.