The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Clos de L'Oratoire 1996 Grand Cru Classe (St. Emillon)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: Clos de L'Oratoire 1996 Grand Cru Classe (St. Emillon)

by David Lole » Fri Jul 31, 2009 6:02 am

Somewhat of an obscure estate owned by Stephan Von Neipperg (who also owns the better known St.-Emilion duo of Canon-la-Gaffeliere and La Mondotte). 25.5 acres under vine with an average age now over 35 years, 90% Merlot with equal remaining parts of Cabernet Sauvignon and Cabernet Franc. Up to eighteen months maturation in new oak barrels. No fining or filtration. 13.0% A/V. Cork-sealed.

Deep ruby red colour with an impenetrable core. Exuberant and flashy bouquet revealing drop-dead gorgeous cedary aromatics housing intense fruit of cassis, blackberry liqueur, a lovely plummy top note, rare roast beef topped with fresh Provencal herbs, black olives, sweet earth, plenty of well-meshed new savoury oak with added exotic, beguiling fresh soft licorice coming later with extended breathing. The palate has ample body, good attack, extraordinary ripe, lavish extract perfectly emulating the nose with seriously good ripe melting chalky tannins alongside vibrant resolving acidity. The finish maintains the preceding high standard being long and flavoursome with excellent persistence and wonderful balance. 92 points with a bullet for a higher score over the next 5 years. Should last for at least another decade after that. A revelation.
Last edited by David Lole on Fri Jul 31, 2009 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

Re: Clos de L'Oratoire 1996 Grand Cru Classe (St. Emillon)

by Covert » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:50 am

Boy, do you know how to use words! I might have said something like it tastes like my imagination of Meg Ryan's French kiss after sleeping for an hour on the train - just long enough to give her breath character, but not so long as to become unbalanced. The movie's vintage was circa 1996, too. 1996 was a much better Left Bank year, but I have very much enjoyed Right Bank bottles from that year. They seem to have a special character.

Your wonderful description has whetted my appetite for my own Clos de l'Oratoire (I love St-Emilion), but my oldest vintage is 1999. I will wrestle with the thought today and make my decision tonight.

I just edited this response. I forgot that I had drunk a '99 not too long ago and it was wonderful.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

Re: WTN: Clos de L'Oratoire 1996 Grand Cru Classe (St. Emillon)

by David Lole » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:28 am

Thanks for the kind words, Covert.

I don't understand your analogy with that Meg Ryan's french kiss but it sounds like something you really enjoyed - so that must be a good thing. Best I move on before I get myself into the dog house, once again.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

Re: WTN: Clos de L'Oratoire 1996 Grand Cru Classe (St. Emillon)

by Covert » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:56 pm

David Lole wrote:Thanks for the kind words, Covert.

I don't understand your analogy with that Meg Ryan's french kiss but it sounds like something you really enjoyed - so that must be a good thing. Best I move on before I get myself into the dog house, once again.

I was kidding. I made reference to a woman in a description recently and took heat from a WLDGer who said he didn't like that type of reference. The scene with Meg came from her movie, French Kiss, about a kiss of a vineyard in France, if you didn't see it. It was cute, but not too memorable, except for that kiss on the train, which was intentionally double-entendre regarding the title.