The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1999 Machiavelli "Ser Niccolo Solatio del Tani"

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: 1999 Machiavelli "Ser Niccolo Solatio del Tani"

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:04 am

IGT Toscana. Cabernet Sauvignon. At Wine Styles with Beau, John Chandler, Greg, and Kevin.

Bought a few years ago (before I knew better) off a shelf in a hot (temperature wise) Italian deli in San Francisco. Who knows what it went through (Well-stored since by me)? So...I am guessing the "wine age" is closer to 12-15 years due to the poor initial storage. :?

Anyway...I was not expecting a lot out of this. It was very "controversial," but I liked this quite a lot, actually. Color is still dark with some bronzing notes. Nose shows leather and tobacco. Palate was interesting and controversial. I am thinking this wine is a vinous definition of the word "rustic." This has somewhat rasping acidity (I admire this in a wine. I love acidic wines-even ones that are strictly speaking "unbalanced". Tannins are still there but pretty well smoothed out. On the palate, I (and Kevin and Greg) tasted a lot of tobacco and I tasted leather and muted cassis fruit. I love the tobacco/leather flavors in some Italian wines! John Chandler and Beau were less enamored. John missed the fruit (which was pretty muted after 10-15 "wine age" years). I loved the dry raspin tobacco-yness of this Cab...they were not convinced by my vocal protestations! :wink: I liked this better than the bland Felsina wine we drank Monday night. Beau disagreed.

We also drank home-made sweet Muscat wine that was sweet and golden raisin-y and actually delicious!

And..we had very nice 2003 Jumilla wine from Illaro? I did not write it down and this was missing from my database! But, it is a simple white label with black eyes like thorugh a mask or a raccoon design. Delicious plum fruit with a very distinct earthy base that I enjoyed. The fruit was quite ripe (2003!) but a very fine wine for $16.
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach