The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Grand Veneur CDR Bag in Box ITB Comment

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Peter Finkelstein

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:05 pm

Grand Veneur CDR Bag in Box ITB Comment

by Peter Finkelstein » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:00 pm

Hi Guys......

After loading up again on the 07 Grand Veneur today my Kysela representative mentioned that as an experiment Fran had brought in 3 Liter Bags in a Box of the GV Gold Label CDR. Price was a little better than the 750's. I had to buy some, if only for the reason that all of us complain that there are never any good wines in BIB's.

So has anybody actually tasted this or do I have to tap a bag and open a bottle side by side......?

Peter
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

Re: Grand Veneur CDR Bag in Box ITB Comment

by Bob Henrick » Wed Jul 29, 2009 9:05 pm

Peter Finkelstein wrote:Hi Guys......

After loading up again on the 07 Grand Veneur today my Kysela representative mentioned that as an experiment Fran had brought in 3 Liter Bags in a Box of the GV Gold Label CDR. Price was a little better than the 750's. I had to buy some, if only for the reason that all of us complain that there are never any good wines in BIB's.

So has anybody actually tasted this or do I have to tap a bag and open a bottle side by side......?

Peter

Peter! man it is so good to see you posting! Now, if only I can find these BIB Grand Veneur CDR's. Perhaps I should call Robert Jones and get him to sell some to Ky! Again, It is good to see you.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

by David Glasser » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:47 pm

I've had it out of bottle and like it (the '07). A friend just told me he bought one of the 3L bag in boxes. Said it was good. No comparison between bottle and bag in box, though.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:29 am

I would love to know how the bag in box shows. A 3L of a good CdR would be fantastic to have around. Of course I like the '07 Cotes du RHones so much that I might drink the whole 3L in one go, but who knows.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:36 am

So what is it actually retailing for ?
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Maryland

by David Glasser » Thu Jul 30, 2009 1:50 pm

I think I recall seeing it for something like $34/3L.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:29 pm

I've tasted the Grand Veneur in glass and in bag. They are the same. Which is no stretch, since we're talking about exactly the same wine, just in different containers.
no avatar
User

Peter Finkelstein

Rank

Cellar rat

by Peter Finkelstein » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:44 pm

Bag in box arrived at store today. We will be selling it for $36.

I'm thinking about releasing it in our weekly EMail "push" on Saturday with some funny "we are thinking inside the box" comments.

Peter
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:16 am

David M. Bueker wrote:Of course I like the '07 Cotes du RHones so much that I might drink the whole 3L in one go, but who knows.

Have you had the Mordoree? It is maybe the best CdR I've ever tasted, ordered a case!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Maryland

by David Glasser » Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:23 pm

Peter, where is your store?
no avatar
User

Dick Bueker

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 26, 2006 1:19 pm

Harrisonburg, VA

by Dick Bueker » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:17 am

David, your wish will be granted. I'm getting one or two.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:31 am

As in David (me) I presume.
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Maryland

by David Glasser » Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:31 pm

When I wrote "no comparison between bottle and bag in box" I meant the friend had not compared them. Not that the two were so different as not to be comparable.

Just had another bottle of this stuff last night and it is awfully good for the price. Turning over in my head what I would do with a 3L. I don't like drinking the same thing night after night, and 3L is a lot. But these bag in box deals are supposed to stay fresh for a while, aren't they, since they don't let air in as you empty them? I take it the bag itself is pretty inert. How long would you figure an open bag in box would stay good?
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:09 pm

David Glasser wrote:When I wrote "no comparison between bottle and bag in box" I meant the friend had not compared them. Not that the two were so different as not to be comparable.

Just had another bottle of this stuff last night and it is awfully good for the price. Turning over in my head what I would do with a 3L. I don't like drinking the same thing night after night, and 3L is a lot. But these bag in box deals are supposed to stay fresh for a while, aren't they, since they don't let air in as you empty them? I take it the bag itself is pretty inert. How long would you figure an open bag in box would stay good?

David, these will stay fresh for at least a month IMO. I have sipped French BIB that was opened a month and it was as fresh as the day it was opened. I would keep it cool though. I am thinking of getting 3 boxes of it which would equal a case.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Maryland

by David Glasser » Sat Aug 01, 2009 11:44 pm

Thanks, Bob. Guess I would just put it in the fridge and be sure to pour a glass with enough time for it to warm up to room temp.
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:57 am

David Glasser wrote:But these bag in box deals are supposed to stay fresh for a while, aren't they, since they don't let air in as you empty them? I take it the bag itself is pretty inert. How long would you figure an open bag in box would stay good?

When we started carrying these, the official line was they'd keep the wine in good condition for five weeks, refrigerated or not. I feel comfortable telling customers "a month" as projected shelf life after opening.

This is, by the way, our first-ever BIB red; we've been selling a white, "Le Petite Frog," (which is in fact the Hugues Beaulieu picpoul de pinet, also sold under that name and as "Le Jade" in glass) for a few months. The white seems to go over better with the crowd that's heading for the beach; the $29.99 price for the equivalent of 4 bottles doesn't hurt, either. I see the red BIB as a package for entertaining a crowd; I find the idea of committing to the equivalent of a four-bottle package for personal consumption a bit daunting, even if it does last for a month.

Notice that the frog on the Picpoul box is shown drinking a glass of red, what's up with that? :D

no avatar
User

Peter Finkelstein

Rank

Cellar rat

by Peter Finkelstein » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:09 pm

OK a bizarre update

The same salesperson who sold us the Grand Veneur was in today. He offered us the Manoir du Carra 2009 BEAUJOLAIS NOUVEAU IN A 3 LITER BAG IN BOX!

Peter
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Aug 06, 2009 7:10 am

Peter Finkelstein wrote:He offered us the Manoir du Carra 2009 BEAUJOLAIS NOUVEAU IN A 3 LITER BAG IN BOX!

Run away!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Maryland

by David Glasser » Thu Aug 06, 2009 9:03 am

You'd have a tough time getting me to drink Beaujolais Nouveau under any circumstances. But this just seems wrong...

Peter, which store in Annapolis?
no avatar
User

Peter Finkelstein

Rank

Cellar rat

by Peter Finkelstein » Fri Aug 07, 2009 10:00 pm

David

Mills

Peter