The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Northern Sierra Wine Country

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

Northern Sierra Wine Country

by TomHill » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:38 pm

Stumbled across this Site:
NorthernSierraWineCountry

Lots of new/interesting/Mom&Pop wineries up there. Wound up ordering a mixed case from Solune.

Tom
no avatar
User

Shaji M

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Apr 05, 2007 3:24 pm

Re: Northern Sierra Wine Country

by Shaji M » Wed Jul 29, 2009 1:49 pm

I have had wines from Indian Springs and Nevada City Winery - all good stuff. Haven't heard of the others. Will have to find the time and look them up. Thanks for the info Tom.
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Yup....

by TomHill » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:04 pm

Shaji M wrote:I have had wines from Indian Springs and Nevada City Winery - all good stuff. Haven't heard of the others. Will have to find the time and look them up. Thanks for the info Tom.

I've had a few from IndianSprings....not bad, but nothing to get excited about.
And a few from NevadaCity that I thought were very interesting/sound wines. From their WebSite, doesn't look like NevadaCity is doing much of interest these days.

I've also had Niaggar and liked them a lot. Also from Avangardia. He's doing some very interesting things w/ Italian varieties. Good/solid wines..nothing exceptional, though.

Elyse (NapaVlly) makes a Rhone white from Niaggar grapes that is absolutely first rate.

I think NevadaCnty, much like CalaverasCnty, probably grows very good/interesting/quality grapes. But the translation into wine is where they fall down.
It's when you get some very good/competent winemakers buying grapes from these areas that you'll find something to get excited about.
Like SteveEdmunds (EdmundsStJohn) and Tracey/Jared Brandt (Donkey&Goat) have been doing for ElDoradoCnty. Though the local winemakers
up there in ElDorado have been doing a pretty good job themselves for over twenty yrs.
Tom
no avatar
User

Peter Finkelstein

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:05 pm

by Peter Finkelstein » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:53 pm

I wonder why Sierra Vista Winery is not included on the list?

Peter
no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

They Are...

by TomHill » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:38 am

Peter Finkelstein wrote:I wonder why Sierra Vista Winery is not included on the list?
Peter

Peter,
I just didn't list any of the ElDorado locals who are making good wine. SierraVista and Cedarville would be right there at the head of my list.
I think John's wines are sometimes a bit inconsistent. But when they're good...they're very/very good. I've followed his wines from the
very start..the '82 Syrah.
But...overall...I think right now the EdStJohn & D&G ElDorado wines are consistently the best wines being made from ElDorado grapes.
Tom
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Thu Jul 30, 2009 10:42 am

Good point, Tom. I've had wines from Indian Springs and Nevada City as well and have found them to be well-made, solid wines but nothing as really interesting as, say, the ESJ stuff. Wonder if Steve's ever taken a look up there for grapes....?
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child