The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Removal of varietal names from Alsace wine labels?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

Thu May 18, 2006 9:51 pm

Removal of varietal names from Alsace wine labels?

by Victorwine » Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:50 am

Interesting article from Decanter by Panos Kakaviatos;
http://www.decanter.com/news/286258.html

Salute
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Wed Mar 22, 2006 9:16 pm

Merrimack, New Hampshire

Re: Removal of varietal names from Alsace wine labels?

by Paul Winalski » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:58 am

The lack of varietal labeling is probably the main reason that Australia is cleaning up in the USA volume wine market while France continues to lose ground. The Burgundians seem to have realized this and I've seen AOC Bourgogne labeled "pinot noir" or "chardonnay". It seems very odd that things are moving in the opposite direction in Alsace.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:03 pm

Indeed eliminating the name of the varietal from the label would be catastrophic. A clear disservice to consumers as well as to the wineries. Aux barricades, mes amis, aux barricades!!!!

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:04 pm

It's not that things are actually moving in that direction, it's that one guy (Deiss) wants it to.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Wed Jul 29, 2009 12:14 pm

The proposals coming out of the INAO last year were more friendly towards varietal information whilst preserving the place based denominations for AOC wines. I sense that producer pressure has diluted a lot of the more sensible proposals but disallowing varietal information in Alsace would be really retrograde.

Deiss is widely regarded as an eccentric and I cannot believe that his views will prevail over those of the likes of Olivier Humbrecht and Laurence Faller.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

by Victorwine » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:57 pm

Here’s another version of basically the same article. I find paragraphs five and six pretty interesting.

http://www.wine-business-international. ... forms.html

Salute
no avatar
User

Dave Erickson

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jun 20, 2006 4:31 pm

Asheville, NC

by Dave Erickson » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:26 pm

Somehow I think if Jean Trimbach says "no," it will stick.
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Fri Jul 31, 2009 1:07 pm

So what has Deiss upset is that Burgundians get more for their grands crus than Alsatians. And making it more difficult for the consumer to tell what he is buying is supposed to help increase demand (and therefore price)?

No wonder the French are losing the worldwide wine market.

-Paul W.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

by Victorwine » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:30 am

The day that the AOC or INAO just becomes a marketing “tool” is the day I’m going to regret. The AOC or INAO was originally set up to guarantee consumers that a certain agricultural product is produced in a specific region or area (when it comes to wine this is why they are so hung up on the specific vineyard site) and the manufacturing of such a product is governed by strict and stringent rules and regulations. (Nothing more).
Out of all the French wine regions, Alsace was the easiest to learn, they included the grape variety on the label. So if they want to put more focus or attention on the specific vineyard site so be it, but (in smaller font characters anyway) the name of the grape variety should be included on the label.

Salute
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Aug 01, 2009 9:20 am

Paul Winalski wrote:So what has Deiss upset is that Burgundians get more for their grands crus than Alsatians. And making it more difficult for the consumer to tell what he is buying is supposed to help increase demand (and therefore price)?

I am a convinced terroirist but Deiss is so extreme as to be almost demented. He misses the point that everyone likely to buy a Burgundy grand cru knows that it is made from Pinot noir, if it is red, and from Chardonnay, if it is white; but I do not think that the Burgundians would lose a single cent in revenue if they mentioned the grape variety on the label or back label.

By contrast, the multiplicity of Alsatian varieties makes mention of the variety indispensable for mono-varietal cuvées, which are the vast majority. I know that Deiss is making varietal blends from his grand cru sites; I defend his right to do so if he is happy with the results but I see no reason why others should be obliged to imitate him. I am sure he will not win this one.

Victorwine wrote:The day that the AOC or INAO just becomes a marketing “tool” is the day I’m going to regret.

Amen.

The quite sensible three tier proposals from the INAO about a year ago were more tolerant of mentioning varieties and seemed to reconcile terroir designation of top and middle market wines with greater commercial flexibility for mass market varietal blends. However, I fear that there has been a lot of backtracking under producer pressure.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:34 pm

A better approach would be a regulation calling for Alsatian wines to show the amount of residual sugar in each bottle. We've found over the years that's the main bitch about Alsatian wines with our customers is what is their sugar content?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:11 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:A better approach would be a regulation calling for Alsatian wines to show the amount of residual sugar in each bottle. We've found over the years that's the main bitch about Alsatian wines with our customers is what is their sugar content?

I fully agree that is the priority. The Zind-Humbrecht "indice" scale purports to take account of subjective sweetness by taking account of the acid/sugar balance. The principle is great but the only problem is that the consumer needs a key to understand.
For some reason, few Alsatian producers seem prepared to follow.

Other regions, e.g. the Loire, have a similar problem.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Steve Slatcher

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:51 am

Manchester, England

by Steve Slatcher » Sun Aug 02, 2009 5:28 pm

Zind Humbrecht is best known in Alsace for giving an indication of sweetness, but IMO this is a much better way of communicating the information:
The big advantage over the ZH scheme is that you can see at a glance the bounds of the scale and what the scale refers to, despite it being very discrete. Might be even better if it said something like "1/4" by the arrow, so the perceived sweetness can be recorded in writing easier too. The producer is Sipp Mack.
no avatar
User

Victorwine

Rank

Wine guru

by Victorwine » Sun Aug 02, 2009 7:34 pm

Here’s an interesting article;
http://www.stylegourmet.com/wine/wlang002.htm

Salute
no avatar
User

Paul Winalski

Rank

Wok Wielder

Merrimack, New Hampshire

by Paul Winalski » Mon Aug 03, 2009 5:36 pm

Tim York wrote: I do not think that the Burgundians would lose a single cent in revenue if they mentioned the grape variety on the label or back label.

In fact they are doing just that. I've seen a lot of Bourgogne these days labeled both "Appellation Bourgogne Controllee" and either "Pinot Noir" or "Chardonnay". I don't know if the regulations for villages, premier cru, and grand cru allow for varietal labeling, but if so I'd do it if I were a producer.

As you said, in Alsace, where you have several traditional varietal wines produced, each with a distinct flavor profile, the consumer needs varietal labeling to tell what you're buying.

Deiss can call his blended grands crus Edelzwicker if he wishes.

-Paul W.