The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: '95 & "97 Pegau CdP

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: '95 & "97 Pegau CdP

by geo t. » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:59 pm

1995 Domaine du Pegau Châteauneuf du Pape Cuvée Réservée, 13.5% alc.: Dark garnet color, with only a hint of rust; classic Pegau perfume of cola, mahogany, smoke, iron and beetroot, all echoing and expanding in the mouth with a solid earthy base. Full bodied, smooth, rich and still well structured, this may still be another 5 years or so from reaching its peak, but already gives immense pleasure.

1997 Domaine du Pegau Châteauneuf du Pape Cuvée Réservée, 13.5% alc.: Good dark color and not nearly as effusive aromatically as the '95 noted above, nor as perfumed; also leaner and sleeker in the mouth, but it does give nice earthy, smoky beetroot, plum and iron. A solid and enjoyable Pegau, but not an exceptional one; may have a few more years of improvement, but no reason you can't open and enjoy one now.

- from Recent Rhônes & Rhône Rangers

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

Re: TN: '95 & "97 Pegau CdP

by Mark Lipton » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:48 pm

geo t. wrote:1995 Domaine du Pegau Châteauneuf du Pape Cuvée Réservée, 13.5% alc.: Dark garnet color, with only a hint of rust; classic Pegau perfume of cola, mahogany, smoke, iron and beetroot, all echoing and expanding in the mouth with a solid earthy base. Full bodied, smooth, rich and still well structured, this may still be another 5 years or so from reaching its peak, but already gives immense pleasure.

1997 Domaine du Pegau Châteauneuf du Pape Cuvée Réservée, 13.5% alc.: Good dark color and not nearly as effusive aromatically as the '95 noted above, nor as perfumed; also leaner and sleeker in the mouth, but it does give nice earthy, smoky beetroot, plum and iron. A solid and enjoyable Pegau, but not an exceptional one; may have a few more years of improvement, but no reason you can't open and enjoy one now.

Thanks for the update, geo. I have the '95 down in the Bat Cave and I'll keep it there a good while longer. On a different note, I picked up two Left Foot Charley wines while in Saugatuck a couple weeks ago (I told the retailer how excited I was to find those wines there as last year they didn't carry 'em). The Murmur was pleasant, but haven't yet opened the rosé.

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:45 am

Both sound quite lovely. I had the '95 Pegau about a year or so ago - thought it excellent, if surprisingly youthful with a fair bit of tannin still remaining (and a number of years ahead). Interesting to see those alcohol levels - in the last few years haven't they been closer to the 15% range?
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:28 am

Mark Lipton wrote:
geo t. wrote:1995 Domaine du Pegau Châteauneuf du Pape Cuvée Réservée, 13.5% alc.: Dark garnet color, with only a hint of rust; classic Pegau perfume of cola, mahogany, smoke, iron and beetroot, all echoing and expanding in the mouth with a solid earthy base. Full bodied, smooth, rich and still well structured, this may still be another 5 years or so from reaching its peak, but already gives immense pleasure.

Thanks for the update, geo. I have the '95 down in the Bat Cave and I'll keep it there a good while longer. On a different note, I picked up two Left Foot Charley wines while in Saugatuck a couple weeks ago (I told the retailer how excited I was to find those wines there as last year they didn't carry 'em). The Murmur was pleasant, but haven't yet opened the rosé.

Mark Lipton

Haven't tried any of the latest vintage of Left Foot Charley, Mark, so I've not tried the rosé. Have to do something about that!

Cheers,

geo
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:30 am

Salil,

Recent vintages have been hotter (weather) with riper grapes, so yes the alcohols are going up.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Day-twah, MI

by geo t. » Wed Jul 29, 2009 8:32 am

Salil Benegal wrote:Both sound quite lovely. I had the '95 Pegau about a year or so ago - thought it excellent, if surprisingly youthful with a fair bit of tannin still remaining (and a number of years ahead). Interesting to see those alcohol levels - in the last few years haven't they been closer to the 15% range?

Salil, I can tell you that the '03 is listed at 14%.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:21 am

Mark Lipton wrote: Thanks for the update, geo. I have the '95 down in the Bat Cave and I'll keep it there a good while longer. On a different note, I picked up two Left Foot Charley wines while in Saugatuck a couple weeks ago (I told the retailer how excited I was to find those wines there as last year they didn't carry 'em). The Murmur was pleasant, but haven't yet opened the rosé.

Mark Lipton

Mark, I have discovered the Left Foot Charlie wines too. And in particular I enjoy the Murmur (06). I haven't seen any of the 07, but the 06 is still going strong. I also enjoy Bryan's rieslings. The Murmur reminds me a lot of the Chateau Grand Traverse Ship of Fools that Sean makes. They are blended from similar grapes, and are both a little off dry, and very fruity. The difference between the two is the traminette in the murmur where the Ship has a little chardonnay. Both are delicious. I also like Sean's Edelzwicker quite a lot. It is a little different in it's taste profile from the other two because of the gewurztraminer it contains. Sure wish these wines were available in Kentucky, I do have a source for obtaining them. Although direct shipping would make it a lot simpler.
Bob Henrick