The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 4 Rieslings, Chinon, fine Chambolle-M, Pétalos, etc.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: 4 Rieslings, Chinon, fine Chambolle-M, Pétalos, etc.

by Tim York » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:48 pm

During the stay of my son and grand-daughter, I neglected my wine notes. Here from memory is an attempt to catch up with notes on recent drinks which I cannot recall having reviewed previously.

Niederhäuser Hermansshöhle Riesling Spätlese – 11 – 2002 – Dönnhoff - was delicious showing medium/full body, a round core, gently sweet white fruit with a hint of honey and a degree of creaminess offset by excellent minerals and lively acidity. Ideal for a summer evening with a snack; 17/20. (Am I compounding my recent crime of liking a Loosen Erdener by speaking well of this wine? Some real German wine connoisseurs seem to prefer Dönnhoff nervously young before it develops this round core.)

Enkircher Steffensberg Riesling Spätlese Halbtrocken 2001 – Immich-Batterieberg – Alc. 12% - showed quite a lot of bubbles round the glass and a slight but agreeable prickle on the palate. The sweetness was quite muted and this was an enjoyable but unmemorable Mosel; I recall an Alte Reben trocken 2002 as showing more character; 15/20.

Moselle Luxembougeoise Riesling 2007 – Château de Schengen – Alc. 12.5% - (c. €8) was an enjoyable straightforward dry Riesling with lively acidity and decent fruit and minerals; 15/20+ QPR.

Moselle Luxembourgeoise Stadtbedimus Fels Grand 1er cru Art & Vins No.21 sus Hierzig 2006 – Domaine Vinsmoselle – Alc. 12% was noticeably better than the previous with more body, more demonstrative aromatics, greater complexity and length; 16/20 QPR!!

Chinon Clos de l’Echo 1995 – Couly-Dutheil – Alc. 12.5%. I tried this as a possible candidate for our Loire evening and felt that it didn’t quite make the grade. Medium/light bodied, elegant with that fine tea touch frequent in ageing Loire and a little abrupt in the finish. I was expecting something more substantial from this famous vineyard; 15.5/20.

Chambolle-Musigny Clos du Village 1990 – Antonin Guyon – Alc. 13% - seemed understated at first but, as soon as I got used to the quiet voice, I loved its mature and complex Pinot fruit with its cherry touches enhanced by a hint of candy, excess of which spoils some 1990s and the beautiful acid balance. There was depth, good length and the whole was harmonious and elegant; 17/20.

Campo de Borja Viña Collado 2006 – Bodegas Santo Cristo (a co-operative)– Alc. 13.5% -(€4,25) –was an exemplary entry level Garnacha with medium body showing the typically spicy and anis infused sweet Grenache fruit with a nice savoury tang; 15.5/20 QPR!!

Pétalos Bierzo 2007 – Descendientes de J. Palacios – Alc. 14% - (€11 special price) was a disappointment after the 2006. Its fruit was less brightly focussed and tangy and the oak ageing was much more obvious; quite blandly international; at most 15/20.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: WTN: 4 Rieslings, Chinon, fine Chambolle-M, Pétalos, etc.

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:28 am

Pétalos Bierzo 2007 – Descendientes de J. Palacios – Alc. 14% - (€11 special price) was a disappointment after the 2006. Its fruit was less brightly focussed and tangy and the oak ageing was much more obvious; quite blandly international; at most 15/20.

That is quite a shocker Tim. "International" is usually a comment to raise the eye-brow, wait till Victor comes along!!
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:57 am

Tim York wrote:Pétalos Bierzo 2007 – Descendientes de J. Palacios – Alc. 14% - (€11 special price) was a disappointment after the 2006. Its fruit was less brightly focussed and tangy and the oak ageing was much more obvious; quite blandly international; at most 15/20.

Not want I wanted to read having just picked up some of this last weekend. Really liked prior vintages.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Thu Jul 30, 2009 2:21 pm

Too bad about the Bierzo. Glad to hear re the Guyon, I see sometimes their wines at good prices, but shied due to one lackluster experience. I should reconsider.
no avatar
User

Joe Moryl

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Aug 14, 2007 9:38 pm

New Jersey, USA

by Joe Moryl » Thu Jul 30, 2009 9:41 pm

We had a bottle of the Petalos a couple weeks ago and were similarly disappointed, given all the good reviews and word of mouth. Our bottle was very dark, tannic and unexpressive. Not bad, and we didn't really notice the oak. I had opened the bottle with an eye towards purchasing some more and now I'm inclined to buy something else.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:53 am

Joe Moryl wrote: I had opened the bottle with an eye towards purchasing some more and now I'm inclined to buy something else.

That was also my intention; I had a coming buffet luncheon for some relatives in mind. Pétalos 06 was very successful at a similar event in May last year. I'll have to find something else.

A few weeks ago the distributor still showed the 06 at a gourmet store tasting because, he said, the 07 was closed. Maybe that is the problem though it did not particularly strike me as having those symptoms. The 06 had been singing at a similar stage.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:39 pm

Tim York wrote:a gourmet store tasting...

What do gourmet stores taste like? I guess it depends on the type of concrete used in the foundation.

Sorry, I couldn't resist :twisted: