The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: A Loire feast w C de Serrant,Rougeard,Pierre-Bise, etc.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: A Loire feast w C de Serrant,Rougeard,Pierre-Bise, etc.

by Tim York » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:24 am

The theme of Sunday’s gathering of our wine group, consisting of Jean, Jérôme, Gert and myself with spouses, was Loire red and white. The weather co-operated providing an evening just warm enough (low 20s C) to allow us to eat and taste outside.

Although none of the wines was a dud or corked, there was some disagreement about them. In particular there was a current of opinion preferring the more understated and elegant wines to those which sought to make a more important statement, e.g. Coulée de Serrant and Clos Rougeard, which some felt not to be what one seeks from the Loire.

Langlois-Château brut was its usual dependable self but I found it steelier and more monochrome than usual perhaps overshadowed by what followed; 15.5/20.
Savennières Coulée de Serrant 1989 – Clos de la Coulée de Serrant, N.Joly – Alc.13% - was full, rich, round and complex with minerals and good acid towards the long finish; dry but giving the impression that a sweet wine wanted to burst out with aromas which suggested that it may have been touched by botrytis. In spite of all the criticism of the estate’s underperformance, I felt that this bottle did justify its great reputation but some of the others found it too suave and pretentious preferring the following. My rating 17.5/20.
Savennières Cuvée Armand Bizard Demi-Sec 1989 – Château d’Épiré – Alc.12.5%. In spite of some unobtrusive RS, this was fresher, more lively and better integrated though less full and complex than the previous and was preferred by many; 16.5/20 for me but I think that some of the others would have reversed the ratings.
Chinon Les Clos 1998 – Le Logis de la Bouchardière, S & B Sourdais – Alc. 12.5% - was a lovely, velvety yet brightly fruited Chinon with charcoal and mineral touches, medium body and great elegance; exceptional for an unfashionable year; 17/20.
Saint-Nicolas-de-Bourgueil Cuvée du Domaine 1989 – Joël Taluau – Alc. 12.5% - another lovely wine very much in the same style as the preceding Chinon with perhaps slightly greater depth and more marked but resolved tannic structure; beautifully elegant; 17/20++.
Saumur-Champigny Les Poyeux 1996 – Clos Rougeard, Foucault – Alc. 12.5% was much more structured, bigger and perhaps longer than the two previous and quite Bordelais in character with its acid plum like fruit, mineral complexity, sophisticated wood patina and marked tannic structure. I admired in for what it was but it could have been singing more sweetly and loudly and may do so in a few years time. Someone commented on oxidisation (I did pick up a touch of cabbage on the finish) and I sensed disappointment from the others; it was certainly less Loire and less loveable than the two previous; 17/20 for me.
Vouvray Moelleux Grande Année 1990 – Marc Brédif was a superb example fully open with bright acidity and minerality beautifully balancing some deep fruit and discreet sweetness. This was an interesting contrast with the Layon sweeties which followed; quite typically, I think, this Vouvray showed greater freshness, nerve and elegance; 17.5/20.
Coteaux du Layon Beaulieu 1997 – Château Pierre-Bise, Papin – Alc. 13% was deeply rich, sweet and burnished and quite apricot tinged but with enough minerals and acidity, from a year where they were sometimes deficient, to avoid cloying; delicious 17/20.
Bonnezeaux 1996 – Château de Fesles – Alc. 13% showed a more lively acid balance and greater complexity and elegance than the previous; delicious 17.5/20. (Was this wine produced during the unhappy period of Gaston Lenôtre’s ownership? If so, it is a success.)
Coteaux du Layon 1947 (apologies for forgetting unfamiliar vigneron’s name). This wine sharply divided those round the table; some found it geriatric and unbalanced and others, particularly Jean with his experience of old wine and especially Mosel, loved it. I found it complex and fascinating but a bit disjointed with separate strands of old burnished fruit, marzipan, minerals, still fresh acidity. More rustic and less sophisticated than the two previous but the wine was still very much alive (I remember 1947 with emotion; a torrid summer when I learned to swim and Compton and Edrich made lots of runs). Hard to rate; 17/20+ warts and all.

(As host, I was able to finish the remainder of most of the above the next day. The Coulée de Serrant, Taluau and Clos Rougeard had all lost a lot of stuffing and bouquet and the last had become quite unpleasantly jammy and tannic but with no apparent, to me, signs of oxidisation. The Coulée de Serrant was an interesting case since Joly and some of his distributors recommend decanting 24 hours in advance; in this case the splendour had disappeared and all that was left was some quite refreshing minerality.

The wines with RS had, not unexpectedly, held up much better; the Épiré seemed sweeter and a touch less lively but the Pierre-Bise and Fesles were, if anything, better.)
Tim York
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: A Loire feast w C de Serrant,Rougeard,Pierre-Bise, etc.

by Howie Hart » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:30 am

Thanks for the notes Tim - excellent, as always. This post sent me a reminder to stop at the NH liquor store on the way to my sister's in Maine Thursday. I have to have Vouvray with lobster. I might pick up a bubbly too. 8)
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:34 am

Great set of notes there Tim. A tasting one over here could only dream about!
The Loire reds seem to have aged nicely eh. Will send this post to Jim Budd if OK with you?

Langlois-Château brut...am still admiring my sparkling red on kitchen countertop here! I had to do a search on your Chinon, a new name to me.

http://www.sergeetbrunosourdais.com/anglais/vignes.html
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:45 am

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote: Will send this post to Jim Budd if OK with you?

That's ok my me, Bob, but he'll probably see it on the UK site when I post it there tomorrow morning.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 11:54 am

Looks like some good wines and nice vintages. Interesting to hear the mixed reviews on the Poyeaux. I had the 96 only once, a few years ago, and don't remember any vegetal edges sticking out. In fact it was quite rich and deep and very very fun in the Rougeard style. But, it was several years ago and wines evolve!
no avatar
User

Gert Claes

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:20 pm

by Gert Claes » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:31 pm

Just a brief report on the Brédif - on day 2 it was quite a bit nicer, having rounded off and actually gaining in freshness and nerve. Really a pleasure to finish off... Seems like this one will still benefit from some more ageing.
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:08 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Looks like some good wines and nice vintages. Interesting to hear the mixed reviews on the Poyeaux. I had the 96 only once, a few years ago, and don't remember any vegetal edges sticking out. In fact it was quite rich and deep and very very fun in the Rougeard style. But, it was several years ago and wines evolve!

Rahsaan, I think that the pairings played a part in the relatively indifferent showing of the Rougeard; the main course was a cold salmon trout. This was fine with the Chinon and St.Nick but the structured Poyeux called for a rare steak; no one wanted cheese where I had ready a Cantal Salers which might have done the job. Apart from that hint of cabbage on the finish, it still seemed quite young.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:27 pm

Tim York wrote:the structured Poyeux called for a rare steak...Apart from that hint of cabbage on the finish, it still seemed quite young.

Ok, I can see that. And lucky you to apparently have some more so you can track its evolution!
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Jul 29, 2009 2:18 pm

Sounds great, wish I had been there! The supposed underperformance of Coulee de Serrant, perhaps another term for the oxidative controversy, dates from the early 90s, according to Richard Kelley, so your 89 should have been untouched by that. I also believe Joly's suggestion to decant for a day only applies to younger vintages...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.