The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Tasmanian Riesling

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: Tasmanian Riesling

by Salil » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:08 am

2005 Tamar Ridge Riesling from the Tamar Valley, Northern Tasmania, Australia.
13% alcohol, under screwcap. Tasted this once about 3 years ago at the winery among a lineup of wines that was really eye-opening in terms of what Tassie wines (particularly the sparklers and aromatic whites) can be, bought a couple of bottles at the cellar door and took back. Had another bottle about a year ago and found it quite nice with gentle, elegant green apple and citrus fruit flavours and a faint smokiness.

Opened the last bottle tonight with mild North Indian kebabs and a cauliflower/green peas dish and it was very enjoyable (probably my best experience with this wine yet). Light green-flecked straw in colour with a nose of intense petrol and smoky elements over lime, pear and faint floral notes. Medium bodied in the mouth with just a very faint touch of sweetness (I'd guess close to a German halbtrocken in terms of r/s, nowhere near as dry and austere as the mainland Aussie Rieslings) and bright green apple, lime and pear fruit flavours. Good acidity underneath and a medium length finish. Very tasty, refreshing and great with the food.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Tasmanian Riesling

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:48 pm

Sounds good, but in the morning do you look like this?
Tas.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:12 pm

No, I only look like that after Tasmanian Cabernet (and I don't even have to wait for the morning after.)
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 28, 2009 1:58 pm

Sounds good, Salil. We opened a Tasmanian chard the other night from Dalrymple. A year 2000, and it's still young and bright and wonderful. The wines are made in the White Burgundy style and they have the track record to match. If you ever see this producer, don't pass up a chance to try it.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov