The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Odisea VeritableQuandry Blanc '07...(short/boring)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

TomHill

Rank

Here From the Very Start

Wed Mar 29, 2006 12:01 pm

WTN: Odisea VeritableQuandry Blanc '07...(short/boring)

by TomHill » Tue Jul 28, 2009 9:58 am

Tried last night w/ my tofu gruel:
1. Odisea VeritableQuandry (175 cs; 33% Marsanne/27% Roussanne/21% Albarino/19% Viognier; 13.5%) 2007: Med.gold color; very ripe pineapple/mango/floral/candied/Lodi Viog loads of fruit spicy/nutmeg interesting nose; soft/fat slightly bitter very floral/ripe/mango/pineapple/candied some honeysuckle/appley slight spicy/nutmeg flavor; med.long very ripe/lush soft fruity/floral/mango/pineapple finish; bit on the soft side and short on acid but lots of ripe fruit; very good for a (mostly)Lodi white; nicely done and fairly priced at $15.50
1. When I was back in KansasCity last week, I stumbled across several of these Odisea wines at Gomers/MidTown, one of my favorite stores and where JimColey used to reign. The labels looked interesting, the wine guy gave them a strong rec, so I bought a couple. Went to their WebSite (http://www.OdiseaWineCo.com) and ordered a mixed case. This was an xtra btl from my KC buy.
The wnry is an operation of AdamWebb and MikeKeuntz. Two guys from Oklahoma that got bitten by the wine bug. Mike segued to Oregan to work at WillametteVllyVnyds. Adam went to NapaVlly and was asst winemaker at Elyse for awhile. This wine was made up in Murphys, but as of last year, their wnry is in the NapaVlly.
I presume the grapes came (as the '08 version did) Lodi and the ClarksburgDelta. Lodi doesn't get a whole lot of respect, but in the last ten yrs, the wines from here have taken a real jump in quality. The softness and fatness is representative of the whites from Lodi, but there was loads of fruit and, thankefully, no apparent oak. Nicely done RhoneBlanc.
Tom
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: Odisea VeritableQuandry Blanc '07...(short/boring)

by Brian K Miller » Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:45 am

Thanks for the note, Tom! I met the winemaker last year at Back Room Wines in Napa and enjoyed the (fairly priced) red version of this brand enough to take home. On current experience, I prefer the (more pricey) Lioco red blend, but the Veritable Quandry showed pretty nice, too. Cool bottle and label, also! 8)
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach