The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Patrice Colin Pineau d'Aunis 'Les Vignes'

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2005 Patrice Colin Pineau d'Aunis 'Les Vignes'

by Jenise » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:10 pm

Here's another one of those wines where for the life of me I can't reconcile what I found the wine to be with the description of the wine in the offer. The disparities are so much greater than just the difference between two people's palates.

What the offer described: a wine that would not be out of place in Vosne Romanee. This is silky, sultry red plum elegance with a unique spice-laden, light textured and velveteen palate that was achieved from what would be considered ultra-ripe grapes in 2005. With a color that is almost clear cherry red and a feminine charisma with delicate sap from the century old vines...minerality and grace...finely sifted tannins...appears to be simple, light and obvious but is anything but.

That sounded a lot like the only other Pineau d'Aunis I've ever had which I believe was a Joe Dressner import, Belliviere or something like that. And which I loved, so I eagerly bought six.

What I found in my glass: dark and purple. Terrific pepperiness and spice with a panoply of black plum and black raspberry. Has an awkward, parched mouthfeel and finish from what seems like too much grape skin extractedness as well as gritty tannins. Refreshingly different and enjoyable nonetheless, but jeepers, this just just isn't the same wine he describes. I'm starting to wonder if he actually tastes the wines he sells (I probably should have wondered before, call me gullible.)
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2005 Patrice Colin Pineau d'Aunis 'Les Vignes'

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 28, 2009 7:05 am

I don't know - you say black plums he says red plums. You say pepperiness and spice he says spice laden. Let's call the whole thing off.

I do find that most reviewers/merchants descriptions of wine weight/texture almost never align with what I taste.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:51 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:I don't know - you say black plums he says red plums. You say pepperiness and spice he says spice laden. Let's call the whole thing off.

I do find that most reviewers/merchants descriptions of wine weight/texture almost never align with what I taste.

Okay, he had red fruit I had black. I had an extracted, dense, purple wine, he had a "clear red" wine that one might look at mistake for simple it was so light. Those aren't matters of "taste". At least, I don't think so.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 28, 2009 12:57 pm

Jenise,

I guess I don't know what he was thinking. My mind-reading device is on the fritz. :wink:

(And I didn't pay a lot of attention to the color comments as I rarely find color to mean much.)
Decisions are made by those who show up