The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: 5 from Gérard Bertrand

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

TN: 5 from Gérard Bertrand

by geo t. » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:02 pm

2004 Gérard Bertrand Cremant de Limoux Brut, 70% Chardonnay, 20% Chenin Blanc, 10% Mauzac. 12.5% alc., $16.50: Medium straw color, with good apple and mineral flavors and aromas that show a honeyed edge; good acids and mousse, but not overly long on the finish. Pleasant and enjoyable.

2005 Gérard Bertrand Cremant de Limoux Brut Rose, 70% Chardonnay, 20% Chenin Blanc, 10% Pinot Noir, $16.50: Peach gold color, with a dusty under-ripe strawberry and watermelon personality; almost musky. Shows a smooth texture, good acids and intensity and delivers more “oomph” than the regular Brut.

2006 Gérard Bertrand Chateau l’Hospitalet Coteaux du Languedoc La Clape Blanc La Reserve, 13% alc., $19.50: Made from Grenache Blanc, Bourbelenc and Vermentino, with 8 months spent in French oak. Pale to medium gold, with subdued cloves, allspice and Christmas spices over dry apple and pear, all with good weight and cut. Some found this to be too oak influenced, but I didn't have a problem with it, as I didn't think it was at all excessive, but rather took a moderate stance in the greater whole of the wine's personality.

2005 Gérard Bertrand Pic St. Loup Grand Terroir, 50% Mourvedre, 25% Grenache, 25% Carignane, 13.5% alc., $18.79: Good dark color, with earthy black plum and black currant; deep, dark and delicious, with subtle shades of leather and herbaceousness. Full bodied, with excellent structure; very balanced and harmonious.

2006 Gérard Bertrand Chateau l’Hospitalet Coteaux du Languedoc La Clape La Reserve, 13.5% alc., $19.50: Clean dark color, with an earthy tobacco and black fruit nose that follows through beautifully on the palate; polished and harmonious, with lovely balance and yet deceptively well structured for some years in the cellar.

- from Tasting the Wares of U.S. Wine Imports

Reporting from Day-twah,

geo t.
Nunquam Spuemus
no avatar
User

Bob Parsons Alberta

Rank

aka Doris

Tue Mar 21, 2006 3:09 pm

Re: TN: 5 from Gérard Bertrand

by Bob Parsons Alberta » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:25 pm

Nice notes for all Languedoc fans. I am sure I mentioned Bertrand a while back but cannot find anything here?
no avatar
User

geo t.

Rank

Cellar cat

Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:01 pm

Day-twah, MI

Re: TN: 5 from Gérard Bertrand

by geo t. » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:35 pm

Bob Parsons Alberta. wrote:Nice notes for all Languedoc fans. I am sure I mentioned Bertrand a while back but cannot find anything here?

Bob, as you might guess from my notes, I'm a fan of Bertrand's wines.

:!: :?: :idea: :arrow: :wink:
Nunquam Spuemus