The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Short notes on 6 Cabs blind

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Short notes on 6 Cabs blind

by Jay Labrador » Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:54 pm

Notes from last week's lunch at Old Manila with 6 Cabs blind. As a preliminary we had some Champagne and 3 Sauvignon Blancs.

Piper Heidsieck Champagne Brut NV - Rich and surprisingly deep flavor. An impressive NV.

Honig Rutherford Reserve Sauvignon Blanc 2006 - Smoky, sweetish. Powerful finish. A little buttery. Together with the smoke, this signaled oak treatment to me.

Cloudy Bay Sauvignon Blanc 2007 - Classic SB. Guava and green pepper.

Casa Marin Laurel Vineyards Sauvignon Blanc 2007 - From Chile. Oddly, there seemed to be a bit of earth. Green pepper and ripe fruit. Strong flavors. Powerful wine.

We followed the whites with 6 Cabernets blind - 2 from Bordeaux and one from a non-mainstream wine country. Our job was to spot which was which.

#1 Rich. Just a little syrupy. New World? - Leeuwin Art Series Cabernet Sauvignon 1998.

#2 Tanic, vibrant. Good acidity. Ripe. Later, slightly pruney. Coffee. Turned syrupy after 2 hours. Excellent. New Word? - Viader Cabernet Sauvignon 1999.

#3 Tannic. Young. Difficult to evaluate. Not Bordeaux? - Chateau Pavie Decesse 1998.

#4 High acidity. Very leafy. Got some age to it. Bordeaux? - Takahata Winery Unfiltered Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 from Japan!

#5 Lightish. Somewhat hollow. Cedary. Bordeaux? - Chateau Leoville-Barton 2001.

#6 Barnyardy. Soft and ripe. Rich. Could be a Pavie. Tannins coming out after 2 hours. - Almaviva 2001.

Last wine was dessert.

Chateau Coutet 2003 - Barsac. Classic nose. Sweet but not cloying. Gentle, silky mouthfeel. Burnt sugar and honey. Lovely balance. Long finish.
Last edited by Jay Labrador on Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Short notes on 6 Cabs blind

by Jenise » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:19 am

Not familiar with Takahata. Sounds New Zealandish, is it?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:56 am

Jenise wrote:Not familiar with Takahata. Sounds New Zealandish, is it?

Oh, sorry. Forgot to indicate it's from Japan!
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:26 pm

Interesting to see how different palates approach wines. Perhaps in part because of regional preferences.

Jay Labrador wrote:Classic SB. Guava and green pepper.

For me, Loire-focused, Classic SB is gooseberry and minerals. Guava sounds 'overripe'. (Although I guess that also depends on the ripeness of the guava!).

slightly pruney. Coffee. Turned syrupy after 2 hours. Excellent.

I definitely would not have followed those other descriptors with 'Excellent'!

But, sounds like a fun tasting and interesting that you had a Japanese wine.
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:33 pm

Jay Labrador wrote:Notes from last week's lunch at Old Manila with 6 Cabs blind. As a preliminary we had some Champagne and 3 Sauvignon Blancs.

#4 High acidity. Very leafy. Got some age to it. Bordeaux? - Takahata Winery Unfiltered Cabernet Sauvignon 2004 from Japan!

How else can one hold a true blind tasting if one can't have a japanese Cabernet in the mix? Nice notes and this one sounds fun, as usually is over there with the blind tastings.
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

R Cabrera

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Oct 25, 2006 9:14 pm

NYC

by R Cabrera » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:44 pm

Rahsaan wrote:Interesting to see how different palates approach wines. Perhaps in part because of regional preferences.

Jay Labrador wrote:Classic SB. Guava and green pepper.

If you are referring to "guava", yes I agre that it may be regional preferencees. However, even here in the US, I've come across quite a few notes using tropical fruits like kiwi, mango, passion fruit, granadilla (I don't even know what that is), ripe tamarind and of course guava, when describing sauvignon blanc from NZ.
Ramon Cabrera
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jul 27, 2009 5:53 pm

R Cabrera wrote:If you are referring to "guava", yes I agre that it may be regional preferencees. However, even here in the US, I've come across quite a few notes using tropical fruits like kiwi, mango, passion fruit, granadilla (I don't even know what that is), ripe tamarind and of course guava, when describing sauvignon blanc from NZ.

I meant regional in terms of the origin of the Sauvignon Blanc (although it is also interesting to track the different descriptors according to the regional origins of the writer).

Because the initial note said : Classic SB. Guava and green pepper.

And while guava may be 'classic' for NZ Sauvignon Blanc, from my French-centered perspective nothing from NZ is 'classic' anything :wink: