The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 3 warm nights, w/Burg, Loire, Bojo, Barolo, etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 3 warm nights, w/Burg, Loire, Bojo, Barolo, etc

by Dale Williams » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:59 pm

Long week, and when I got home Friday I felt like a glass of something good. Opened a half-bottle of the NV Pierre Peters Blanc de Blanc Champagne. Bread dough, pears, lemon zest, apple blossoms. Good acidity, moderately sized mousse, fairly full in the mouth. B+

Betsy had stuffed some pork chops with a broccoli sprout pesto, wine was the 2007 Clos des Roillete (Coudert) Fleurie. Light, fresh, raspberries and cherries, a little less oomph than the last couple vintages, but a good match with the dinner and nice on the patio (lightly chilled).B

Last night we were invited to some friends for dinner. Entertainment was provided by the 3 new kittens they had gotten that day. We started outside on their lovely patio with soppresata, olives, and cheeses, and the NV Sciarpa Prosecco. Light, easy, fine as an apertif. B-

Al did mussels meuniere, wine was the 2007 Clos de la Fine Muscadet. Lighter style, more citrus than mineral, it ain't Pepiere but certainly drinkable. B-

We endured the sprinkles, but when it looked like a real rain we moved inside. Main course was lamb chops, corn, and salad. Couple of reds:

1997 Einaudi Barolo
Twelve is young for a fairly traditional Barolo, but this ripe vintage wine seems fairly mature to me. Very floral notes. Warm red fruit, earth, light tar notes. Still some tannins, but I'd drink this up. B+

2007 Rimbert "Les Travers de Marceau" St Chinian
Earth, good acidity, but despite the acids the fruits comes across just a bit overripe. Red plum with a little hint of prune. Still, a good solid wine. B

Fun night, especially the kittens!

Tonight Betsy prepared some yakitori for me to grill, while Dave worked on a kale dish with cranberries, along with some rice with furikake and leftover slaw. Wine was the 2007 Lafouge “Les Meix Chavaux” Meursault (village level lieu-dit, I believe). Citrus, pears, hazelnut, a little toasty oak. Very food acidity, medium bodied, nice finish. Excellent value for level, I'll order more. A-

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency.