The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1998 Santa Duc Gigondas Prestige des Hautes Garrigues

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

WTN: 1998 Santa Duc Gigondas Prestige des Hautes Garrigues

by David Glasser » Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:52 pm

1998 Domaine Santa Duc Gigondas Prestige des Hautes Garrigues - France, Rhône, Southern Rhône, Gigondas (7/26/2009)
This was drinking really well a few months ago and I was in the mood for a treat. Still medium-dark red, no lightening at the rim. Forward, ripe nose of red and black berries, cherries, some clean earthiness, tar, and smoke, and just a hint of alcohol. Full bodied, smooth mouth-coating palate feel, still pumping out layers of very ripe dark fruits. Smooth tannins and plenty of fruit on the back palate and the finish. Excellent.
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Maryland

Re: WTN: 1998 Santa Duc Gigondas Prestige des Hautes Garrigues

by David Glasser » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:08 pm

After an hour or so it's getting a little raisiny-sweet and a bit flabby. It's pretty warm in the house this evening - could that be it or is it just over-ripe? I'll stick it in the fridge for a bit before the next glass.
no avatar
User

Chris Kissack

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:42 am

by Chris Kissack » Mon Jul 27, 2009 2:53 am

Hi David

I think you have this wine nailed with your second comment. It's one of a number of 1998 Southern Rhônes which to me have seemed raisined or baked, soupy and unbalanced. I remember at the time 1998 being touted as a great vintage, but to my palate most of the wines that I have tasted or drank have been disappointing and flabby:

Domaine Santa Duc Gigondas Prestige des Hautes Garrigues 1998: A wine with a fairly rich colour, showing some maturity with an orange-tinged rim. The nose certainly has interest, although with a rather distinctive array of aromas. We have cough candy sticks, Bovril, treacle toffee and most of all sweet, baked, sticky fruit. There is a vegetal character as well, one which, curiously, is more reminiscent of Pedro Ximénez than of Grenache. On the palate the same flavours follow through. This is a rich and rounded wine, but with no point of focus. It has a core of peppery tannins that seem to pervade inwards from the edges, but what acidity there is is completely subsumed by the baked fruit and tannin. It seems rather coarse and carries a rather obvious alcohol which influences the texture greatly; and the label admits to 15%. The finish yields pepper and spice, and little else. Overall, I find this disappointing. I am glad that this is my only bottle. 13/20

In a line-up of numerous southern Rhônes tasted last year I though Beaucastel was excellent, and a couple of others also really very good indeed, but the also-runs outnumbered these successes - including Lucien Barrot, Solitude, Marcoux, Bosquet des Papes and Bosquet des Papes' special cuvée Chantemerle.
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Maryland

by David Glasser » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:42 am

Cooling it off helped some with the flabbiness, but the wine retained the sweet, raisiny notes and they distracted from its Southern Rhone-ness.