The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

IPNC

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

IPNC

by ChefJCarey » Sun Jul 26, 2009 2:39 pm

Heading out to the picnic. I'll try to remember to post my impressions tomorrow. I know it won't be tonight.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: IPNC

by ChefJCarey » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:52 pm

I promise I'll write up my experience - just as soon as I recover from heatstroke.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:16 am

We went to IPNC twice--it's a great event. But jeez, the heat! We stayed in un-A/C'd dorm rooms at the college the first time and got basement rooms with little tiny slits for windows, thought I was going to die. You really wouldn't want to drink anything heavier than pinot in that heat, would you?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Jul 28, 2009 2:43 pm

It was 90F when I got there at 2:00 and 95F when I left at 5:00. I still haven't had time to write the event up - I've been in Portland. But, here's what it looked like:

First thing one saw:

Jancis.jpg

Food critic, wine critic, reprobate.

Trio.jpg

Lucky folks found the shade.

Shade.jpg

The wineries whose tents were in the sun must have pissed off the organizers in some way. they tried all kinds of tricks to keep the pinots from boiling.

Sun.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 28, 2009 3:44 pm

95? Piker! At least one of the years we were there, it was over 100 every day. Btw, that's where I met Jancis, too. That's her husband Nick in the picture?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Jul 28, 2009 4:06 pm

Jenise wrote:95? Piker! At least one of the years we were there, it was over 100 every day. Btw, that's where I met Jancis, too. That's her husband Nick in the picture?

Well, it's over a hundred now and will be for a couple of more days.

Yeah, that's Nick. He and I had been chatting about San Francisco and restaurants.She finished her stint at the signing table and they were off to San Francisco. The three of us were standing there and someone wanted a picture, so I handed him my camera, too. He noticed there was no digital display on the back. I said "Just focus."
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

by Jenise » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:23 pm

Well, even in the heat it's a great event. Did you go all three days or just the one afternoon that's open to the public, can't remember what they call it. Maybe, "the al fresco tasting". Anymore I would be inclined to do that only, the rest of it is just a little too much. Or rather, a lot too much.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Tue Jul 28, 2009 5:37 pm

Jenise wrote:Well, even in the heat it's a great event. Did you go all three days or just the one afternoon that's open to the public, can't remember what they call it. Maybe, "the al fresco tasting". Anymore I would be inclined to do that only, the rest of it is just a little too much. Or rather, a lot too much.

I can only do one day. I picked the picnic. There were 64 wineries pouring. I chatted with several chefs and a lot of winemakers. Met the new chef hired by Domaine Serene. They got him in LA, the city not the state.

The heat was tough on me because the last time I spit I was playing baseball. I've never had a wine so bad at these events that I spit it out. Basically, I don't spit.

When I get a little time I'll relate the story of the dirt tent and the wines I liked. Alice has a show opening next week and it's kinda hectic around here.
no avatar
User

michael dietrich

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed May 10, 2006 5:09 pm

West Linn, Oregon

by michael dietrich » Wed Jul 29, 2009 11:39 am

why not ? That way you can taste more wines and remember what you tasted.
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Wed Jul 29, 2009 6:11 pm

michael dietrich wrote:why not ? That way you can taste more wines and remember what you tasted.

Michael, I am not a purveyor nor am I a critic of wine. I am a consumer. I drink wine. I don't normally take notes. I don't slosh it around in my mouth searching for stuff and adjectives to describe the stuff. I know what I like and always remember those wines. Those of which I am not fond I tend to forget. My wine drinking is 99.9% red, too.