The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Konzelmann "Golden Vintage" Vidal (Ontario VQA)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

WTN: 2007 Konzelmann "Golden Vintage" Vidal (Ontario VQA)

by Paul B. » Sat Jul 25, 2009 11:36 pm

Konzelmann's varietal Vidal table wine comes in two versions: a dry ('0' on the sugar scale) and a semi-dry ('2' on the sugar scale). The semi-dry is available at now in the VQA section of the LCBO. Truth be told, I can't remember when it was last available - could it have made a comeback? I usually have an eagle's eye when it comes to spotting Vidal, Seyval, etc. and I can't recall the last time I saw this one outside the winery.

In any case, I'm glad it's here - back in the stores, and of course, back on my table.

12.5% alc./vol. Clear straw hue. Discreet fruitiness consisting of Granny Smith apple, papaya and guava; these intensify with tight swirling. Secondary hints of pineapple. Excellent acidity right on the entry; tingling, healthy tartness backed up right away by light tropical fruit flavours that follow from the nose, some gentle warmth, and an enveloping sweetness. Slightly chilled, this would be very popular with folks who enjoy off-dry wines. It does work well both on its own and with food. Crisp and pleasant palate-cleansing texture.

For years I have said that Vidal, famous in Ontario as one of the chief icewine grapes, also lends itself to making excellent crisp white table wines - especially when adequate crop control is used and vinification is kept cool. Konzelmann's two versions do the grape a good service.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Howie Hart

Rank

The Hart of Buffalo

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:13 pm

Niagara Falls, NY

Re: WTN: 2007 Konzelmann "Golden Vintage" Vidal (Ontario VQA)

by Howie Hart » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:11 am

Vidal does indeed make good table wines. I've been making it for years and the wines exhibit a complex and long lasting mouthfeel that is often lacking in other white hybrids.
Chico - Hey! This Bottle is empty!
Groucho - That's because it's dry Champagne.