The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2005 Mariflor Pinot Noir

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2005 Mariflor Pinot Noir

by Jenise » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:29 am

Lately Oswaldo's been reporting some good things about Argentinain pinots, and this one showed up locally at $11.99 vs. it's original MSRP at $36, so I bit. My curiosity was piqued by the fact that Michel Rolland at the helm--not that I'm a Michel fan, I'm not, but it does suggest that someone was trying to do something seriously high end here which would contrast well with the memory of the worst pinot I've ever paid money for and the only other Argentinian pinot I've ever had, the Alamos. Parker (Jay?) gave it 90 pts (I know, I know). What I found: black and red fruit that was pinot-like but not neccessarily reading like true pinot as well as somewhat deficient compared to the savoryness and oak-driven biggish body the wine also had, and which could not carry the bitter heat of the finish. The bottle admitted to eitehr 15 or 15.5% alcohol, but I wouldn't be surprised if the actual level's closer to 16. Overall a drinkable wine but not a pleasure to drink, and I wouldn't buy again.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov