The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 1979 Gruaud, plus 3 roses and a Loire gamay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 1979 Gruaud, plus 3 roses and a Loire gamay

by Dale Williams » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:14 pm

Tuesday I found prime ribeyes at Costco, we cooked a couple (stovetop as it was raining) with baked potatoes and kale over toast and parmesan. Wine was the 1979 Ch. Gruaud Larose (St Julien). Resolved tannins, more red fruit than black, fairly high acidity, more elegant than the typical Gruaud brawn. With time some mushroom and tobacco over the red cherry fruit. Pretty nice wine, though maybe lacking the verve and long finish of my favorite '79s. But the acidity and red fruits seem to me typical of the vintage, and this is good if not great. I like the vintage though it's maybe more inconsistent than many (at least in Northern Medoc and Right Bank - Graves and Margaux are more solid IMHO). B+/B

Wednesday we joined friends at the park for concert. Betsy made a shrimp & orzo salad, a five veg slaw, and we brought cheese, salami, and watermelon. Unfortunately I was doing a run to city later, so limited myself to maybe 6 oz total, but still tried 4 pretty good wines:

2008 Ch. d'Oupia Minervois rose
Medium bodied, raspberries and a little strawberry, a nice bitter/herbal edge to finish. Actually seems to have some light tannins on finish! B/B+

2008 Vissoux / Chermette "Les Griottes"Beaujolais rose
Light color, light body, but refreshing and crisp, quite dry, rainer cherries and strawberries. I'd buy again. B+/B

2008 Commanderie de la Bargemone rose (Provence  though I didn't know appellation)
Sweet, a little less zippy than other pinks this evening. Perfectly acceptable B-

2008 Clos Roche Blanche Touraine Gamay

Bigger, riper than previous vintage. Just a little of that potted plant/geranium thing I get from some Loire gamay, but not overwhelming. I'd like to try more. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

Re: WTN: 1979 Gruaud, plus 3 roses and a Loire gamay

by Jay Miller » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:18 pm

Hi Dale,

How much air did you give the '08 CRB Gamay? I found it really took off after about 2 hours or so (though it didn't hold up the next day).

Might have known a CRB note would pull me out of lurking...
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jul 24, 2009 5:25 pm

Jay Miller wrote:Might have known a CRB note would pull me out of lurking...

Well, with all the grief you've been taking on some of those other boards...er...fora, I can understand you keeping a low profile, BigJ :P

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:43 pm

For those that don't get it, that's a joke. This is the REAL Jay Miller, long time WLDGers, not Points Boy. This guy would never give ANY Sierra Carche bottling a 96 (if he gave points)

No idea re air, Fred said "try this" and I had a small pour before leaving to go to work. But I will say (heresy to many I know), I've never been really excited by a CRB Gamay. I love Beaujolais, I love many CRB wines such as the 2 SBs and the Cot, but somehow the Gamay never moves me. That green potted plant thing.....
no avatar
User

Mark Lipton

Rank

Oenochemist

Wed Mar 22, 2006 1:18 pm

Indiana

by Mark Lipton » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:54 pm

Dale Williams wrote:For those that don't get it, that's a joke. This is the REAL Jay Miller, long time WLDGers, not Points Boy. This guy would never give ANY Sierra Carche bottling a 96 (if he gave points)
...and, to round out the description, he's one of the nicest guys in the whole Wine Interweb, so hopefully will continue to speak to me after that ill-considered bit of inside humor.

No idea re air, Fred said "try this" and I had a small pour before leaving to go to work. But I will say (heresy to many I know), I've never been really excited by a CRB Gamay. I love Beaujolais, I love many CRB wines such as the 2 SBs and the Cot, but somehow the Gamay never moves me. That green potted plant thing.....

Geraniums, mayhap? Just a thought...

Mark Lipton
no avatar
User

Jay Miller

Rank

Ultra geek

Wed Mar 22, 2006 10:02 pm

by Jay Miller » Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:25 pm

Mark Lipton wrote: so hopefully will continue to speak to me after that ill-considered bit of inside humor.

Mark Lipton

You're safe, it's Dale who will get the cut direct for saying something negative about a Clos Roche Blanche gamay...

I'm really going to have to get some geraniums one of these days and figure out what everyone is talking about.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

by Dale Williams » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:30 am

Jay,
I'm sorry to say that while I know it makes me an outlier, I've never loved a CRB Gamay. I love the Cab, the Cot, and the SB, I liked the couple versions of the L'Arpent Rouge I've had. But this was as good a CRB Gamay as I've tried, and still only a B for me.
There's a particular vegetal aroma I often get in Loire gamay (and almost never in Beaujolais)that I don't care for. Twice my friend Fred has blinded me on a Loire gamay and I've nailed it in 20 seconds (and I'm a terrible blind guesser). With Mark's geranium remark, I had Betsy show me the geraniums (I'm not a plant guy) - I don't think that's it. But I find it distinctive. Maybe it's genetic.