The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Couple of '01 Rieslings for a couple of hot summer nights

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

Couple of '01 Rieslings for a couple of hot summer nights

by David Glasser » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:09 pm

Summer weather has finally arrived in Maryland. Both of these 2001 Rieslings from Max Ferdinand Richter were pleasantly fresh but much more than just a simple summer quaff. I don't have enough experience with these to say they were great expressions of their terroir, but there were clear differences betweeen them.

• 2001 Weingut Max Ferd. Richter Veldenzer Elisenberg Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (7/21/2009)
    Light pale yellow. Citrus, lemon, minerals and flowers on the nose. Medium body, rich fruit, plenty of minerals and acidity to balance some residual sweetness, some complexity has developed, should continue to drink well for 5-10 years or more and may develop more complexity with time. Excellent

• 2001 Weingut Max Ferd. Richter Graacher Himmelreich Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Mosel Saar Ruwer (7/22/2009)
    Compared to the '01 Richter Veldenzer Elisenberg Spatlese opened last night and finished tonight. Light pale yellow. Citrus, lemon, minerals and flowers on the nose, very similar to the Veldenzer but a little more complex with the addition of some peach notes. Medium body, rich fruit, plenty of minerals and acidity with great balance. Tiny bit of spritz on opening, goes away in 30 minutes. Less sweet than the Veldenzer. Drinking great now and should continue to do so for another 5-10 years. Excellent-outstanding.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

Re: Couple of '01 Rieslings for a couple of hot summer nights

by JC (NC) » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:14 pm

Nice notes. I've never heard of Veldenzer before.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:15 pm

Thanks for posting the notes David. I actually bypassed the Richter wines when everythingcame out, but I've had a few lately and they're good if not the tip of what that vintage had to offer. The Elisenberg Spatlese is a fantastic value, or it was when it came out at $17.99 a bottle locally. Sadly those prices are long gone.

I think my folks have a few bottles of the Himmelreich Spatlese in the cellar, so perhaps I can pry one loose to try some time soon.

More info on the Elisenberg is available here.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

by David Glasser » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:18 pm

I paid about $20 - still a pretty darn good value - back in late 2002/early 2003.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Fri Jul 24, 2009 3:38 am

Very nice; I've liked the Richter wines I've tasted - consistently tasty and usually quite good value.