The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2003 Robert Craig "Howell Mountain" CS

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN: 2003 Robert Craig "Howell Mountain" CS

by Brian K Miller » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:27 am

From near the peak of the Howell Mountain District overlooking St. Helena (2,300 feet!). Stored somewhat warm, but no signs of premature aging. Dark ruby cab color with clear ruby rim. Nose is quite nice: clove, anise, black plum, which follows through on the palate as well. Very smooth...the mountain tannins appear to have softened substantially and this cab is fully open for business. Quite nice plum and earth and anise flavors with a fine finish. Quite pleasant...not as exciting as a couple of the other wines we've had lately, but still a solid 89 points. Others at the table rated it higher, so what do I know? :mrgreen:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

Re: WTN: 2003 Robert Craig "Howell Mountain" CS

by Lou Kessler » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:15 pm

I've known Bob Craig for many years, good guy. 03 here in the valley is known as a mediocre vintage at best. Bob's wine's as a group are solid and not overpriced as a rule.
no avatar
User

Mike Filigenzi

Rank

Known for his fashionable hair

Mon Mar 20, 2006 4:43 pm

Sacramento, CA

by Mike Filigenzi » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:50 pm

We're also fans of the Robert Craig wines. They're a little pricey for us, but they tend to show well against more expensive Napa cabs in our experience. Haven't had the '03 Howell, though.
"People who love to eat are always the best people"

- Julia Child
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

by Brian K Miller » Thu Jul 23, 2009 10:53 am

I've enjoyed tasting at Craig in their little off the beaten track tasting room near downtown Napa.

As to 2003 being a mediocre vintage....Is this another case of 1998? Sure, there are some bad 1998s, but the best winemakers made superb wines, imho. They have aged better than the 1997s, to my limited experience? 2000 was another "mediocre" vintage, and I've had some good ones! I guess I have a fond spot for the vintage because they were just coming out a few years ago when I was just starting to obsess about wine! And, I think some of the 2003s are opening up pretty nicely right now.

Not sure I believe the vintage proclamations anymore. Remember that all the usual sources declared 2003 France to be phenomenal. Do we agree now? :mrgreen:
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach