The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Sangiovese Dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Sangiovese Dinner

by Bill Spohn » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:15 am

Notes from a Sangiovese blind tasting dinner.

1996 Castello di Fonterutoli Chianti Classico Riserva – good colour, nice warm plumy cherry nose, big flavours and very nice finish. good one.

2001 Castello di Fonterutoli Chianti Classico – it threw us a bit when they placed this right after the Riserva. For some reason our minds weren’t thinking it might be the same house. A much more classic nose with less cherry but a bit more anise and leather was interesting. Lighter body, well balanced and with good concentration. Better vintage, but I still had a preference for the 96.

2000 Le Pupile Poggio Valente – a single vineyard Morellino, this wine had an almost Rhone nose and the funkiness stayed with it. Good colour, tons of acidity and also a fair bit of tannin, I think this needs time but wonder where it may go.

2000 La Torre Brunello – medium colour, closed slightly sweet nose, but pretty good stuff in the mouth and fair length.

2001 Fanti Brunello – what first struck us in this dark wine was the oak, and a hint of nutmeg in the nose. A little warm and a smooth feel in the mouth with decent length.

2000 La Poderina Brunello – dark wine with a cherry, cocoa and tar nose. Smooth with only medium acidity and soft tannin, this wine was my favourite so far. I was pleased to find that I have some in my cellar.

1998 Le Macchiole – I had a lot of choices in my cellar, but picked this one as I’d tried it some months ago and found it to be at a really nice stage. Dark, with a toasty sweet nose with red fruit and anise, tannins resolved, good length, low acidity. Sangio with 5% cab, made near Bolgheri.

1997 Tignanello – I picked this right away as a possible/probable Tig, and asked the first question, which kind of cut off discussion on it, and Jenise nailed the vintage. Dark, nice nose with some cocoa, nicely melded fruit flavours, not too much tannin, finishing fairly softly and with good length.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: Sangiovese Dinner

by Jenise » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:25 pm

Bill, I started taking notes but stopped at the third wine--it was so boiling hot in that restaurant that my hands were sticking to the paper!

I pretty much agree with your notes, and would add that your Macchiole was my WOTN--perfection--while I must also point out that there were absolutely NO dogs here and all the wines were wines I'd love to have again. I wonder though if you and I have a different take on the meaning of the word 'body', by no means did I think the 01 Fonterutoli lighter bodied than the 96 (which I agree was the better wine for drinking now).
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

Re: WTN: Sangiovese Dinner

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jul 23, 2009 2:23 pm

Jenise wrote:Bill, I started taking notes but stopped at the third wine--it was so boiling hot in that restaurant that my hands were sticking to the paper!
I pretty much agree with your notes, and would add that your Macchiole was my WOTN--perfection--while I must also point out that there were absolutely NO dogs here and all the wines were wines I'd love to have again. I wonder though if you and I have a different take on the meaning of the word 'body', by no means did I think the 01 Fonterutoli lighter bodied than the 96 (which I agree was the better wine for drinking now).

No dogs nor cats - too hot for either! Image

For me, the 2001 was lighter on its feet and left an impression of better balance than the 96, which I thought slightly less 'Chianti-like', which is all I meant about body.