The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 Cal. Cabs.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jim Grow

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 11:31 am

Rockbridge Ohio

WTN: 2 Cal. Cabs.

by Jim Grow » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:18 pm

Last nite I opened a 1999 Souverain Res. cab. and it was fabulous with all tannins resolved and lots of Cabernet fruit
on display. This wine has a bit of a future as the balance was excellent, but is drinking very well right now.

2001 Keenan 25th Anniversary Cabernet. Consumed tonight with London broil and it was very good also but also very young. Tannins were obvious and with an astringent finish with the fruit med-full with cassis. This wine needs 3-4 years to resolve itself but has plenty of upside potential.
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

Re: WTN: 2 Cal. Cabs.

by Brian Gilp » Wed Jul 22, 2009 7:57 am

Jim Grow wrote:2001 Keenan 25th Anniversary Cabernet. Consumed tonight with London broil and it was very good also but also very young. Tannins were obvious and with an astringent finish with the fruit med-full with cassis. This wine needs 3-4 years to resolve itself but has plenty of upside potential.

This has been the case in all of the Kennan's I have tasted. Granted it has been only a few vintages but I find that I don't start to like the wine until it comes together at about 12 years. Younger than 10 years and it always seems to be out of balance somewhat. They do come together wonderfully if one can stand the wait.
no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

Re: WTN: 2 Cal. Cabs.

by Brian K Miller » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:29 am

Interesting comments on the Keenan. A friend brought in a 2003 from their regular bottling, and it seemed pretty open for business and quite delicious. 2001 should be "open" for most "modern" California cabs? Maybe Keenan is going for a more "classic" style and structure??
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach