The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2 Burgs and a Cote Rotie

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: 2 Burgs and a Cote Rotie

by Jay Labrador » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:09 am

Sala lunch with some of the usual suspects.

Comte Lafon Meursault Clos de la Barre 2001 - Medium gold. Melon and orange. Firm acidity. Vibrant but elegant. Slightly buttery after and hour. Long dry finish. Very good.

Louis Jadot Clos St. Denis Grand Cru 1999 - Warm, leathery. Still young but very attractive now. Sweet, ripe fruit. Some earthiness. Coffee. Some sweetness on the nose came up after about an hour in the glass. Really easy to drink. Could probably do with a bit more age but I'm not complaining. Excellent.

Jamet Cote Rotie 1998 - Very dry. Dried herbs with a leafy underlay. I told Noel that I keep getting the same aromas in Rhone wines so I asked him if this was "garrigue." Apparently it was so now I can use it in my tasting notes with confidence. This wine smells of garrigue. Softish tannins and just a little musty. While the aromas are quite nice, the flavors seem to be muted although I thought it was a very good wine. Maybe it needs a few more years to really shine. Very good now with potential for excellence in a few years.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: 2 Burgs and a Cote Rotie

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:01 am

I am surprised a '99 Grand Cru was open and enjoyable, Despite the reputation as a friendly vintage I have found most '99s to be rather unyielding as of late.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2 Burgs and a Cote Rotie

by Rahsaan » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:41 am

We had the 99 Jadot CSD last week and I thought it was a bit blocky but Maureen found it quite silky. She's probably right but I think we all agreed that time would only be kind to it.