The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN; Haut Maurac, Mayacamas, Unique Rhone, More

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Brian K Miller

Rank

Passionate Arboisphile

Fri Aug 25, 2006 1:05 am

Northern California

WTN; Haut Maurac, Mayacamas, Unique Rhone, More

by Brian K Miller » Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:48 pm

A pretty nice wine "weekend" over the past four days:

2002 Mayacamas Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley. Rick, the owner of Groezingers' in Yountville, said that the 2001s are in a nice place right now, and the 2002 was quite nice. Poor choice of temperature and weather though...it's been utterly SCORCHING in inland Northern California this past seven days...and Cab is not the first thing that comes to mind :? Still...if one is going to drink a Cali Cab, one could do worse than this lovely wine: high acid...there is a tangyness in Mayacamas cabs that I love, cherry/red currant, high toned tobacco. Delicious, even if it was infanticide 91 points.

2006 Nierport Tiara (Dao) This was a very rich white blend that may be the most floral white wine I have ever smelled. Lovely smooth rich texture, too...almost like a non-oaked chard on lees. Citrus was the dominant fruit,with a strong note of lemon curd. Very interesting 90 points.

2005 Chateau Haut Maurac Medoc Cru Bourgeoise

Ah, Covert....We share an appreciation for this wine (I paid more than you :? The California surcharge, I guess) You are right...there are nice wines with more character than Thebot. :) Your notes:

The 2004 Haut Maurac, which I also purchased, at $18, was wonderful, also. After I came back to the hotel with it, I couldn’t imagine why I had purchased such an inexpensive bottle for my client. Somewhat frantically, I looked around Morristown for an expensive bottle, but to no avail. Then upon closer examination of my motive, I realized that the more expensive bottles at Gary’s that I could remember perusing were probably too young to show well, and I intuitively thought the 2004 might actually drink best of what I looked at. My client loved it. It’s very complex and well balanced for such a modest property, and true to its terroir, in my estimation.

I will ditto everything you say, with the detail that this wine shared that singular characteristic of a good Bordeaux blend with the Mayacamas: A sense of tangy, lovely acidity that combined with the delicious cherry and red currant fruit. It stood up to a spicy marinade, believe it or not. Fantastic QPR. 92 points, given the price.

2006 Domaine de LA DAMASE, Rhone. "Le Clochard" Vin de Table. It's quite a find to locate a Southern Rhone wine that is almost etherial in its lightness and elegance. No heavy alcohol here. It dances on the tongue, with the fine strawberry notes and a beautiful herbal underpinning. Is this a truly blockbuster of complexity.....Probably not. and...I am really shocked that this is 90% Mouvedre (hence "Vin de Table), because I taste the strawberry. Maybe I need to experiment more with Mouvedre-based wines. I enjoyed the 2001 Bandol last week as well...but I got more licorice and earthy notes than strawberry-a lot different than this wine! Solid 89 points!

A little bit of background here:
http://www.weimax.com/rhone_4.htm

2003 "Parallel" Cabernet Sauvignon Napa Valley. Debut vintage. Rich buddies deciding to make wine as a business venture/hobby. At least they hired a pretty good winemaker (Phillipe Melka) and this wine is a pretty nice example of its genre: big ripe Napa Valley Cabernet actually showing in a fine place right now. I know it's weird to switch between the two "schools" like I do...but this wine was full of black cherry, dusty tannins, earthyness, all somehow balanced with savory notes and herbal elements that made it quite pleasant and very drinkable. Not porty or over the top in any way-I think I prefer 2003 Cabs to many of the more propiolar 2004s.

I have to give it 88 points...I like Mr. Melka, even if he is fully "New World" now. :shock:

Terroir Wine Bar. OK>...now we visit the other side of the winemaking scene! NATURAL WINE bar tastings! After a fantastic funky Basque Cidre....:

2007 Domaine de la Tournelle Savagnin. (Jura/Arbois) Wow. You want tangy? THIS gives you tangy. Layers of flavor, a richness on the palate that suggests sur lees aging. Dagon said it reminds him of a good Muscadet??? 90 points! Yum!

2007 Vin de Savoie A et M Quenard "Les Abymes" A simpler, less complex wine than the Savagnin, but this wine is just so utterly delicious for summer hot temperatures. Ultra-bright and citrusy and tangy. Delicious
...(Humans) are unique in our capacity to construct realities at utter odds with reality. Dogs dream and dolphins imagine, but only humans are deluded. –Jacob Bacharach