The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

2001 L’Arrosée

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Wed Mar 29, 2006 9:17 pm

Albany, New York

2001 L’Arrosée

by Covert » Sun Jul 19, 2009 6:34 am

Another elegant bottle. Last night might have witnessed our first foray into this property, I believe. Parker remarked that Dutch author Hubrecht Duijker called L’Arrosée the “finest wine of the appellation” (St.-Emilion). My wife and I had not drunk a better bottle in some time.

He also said regarding the 2001 (somewhat uncharacteristically for him) that if Carole Bouquet were a wine, this might be it. So I attached her picture to describe this wine as best as possible. I did not do a perfect job with the attachment (my first attempt at such), but I think you can get the picture.

carole_bouquet_2-large.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: 2001 L’Arrosée

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:07 am

So, no tannins to speak of, and clearly more sweet than acid?
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:11 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:So, no tannins to speak of, and clearly more sweet than acid?

Enough tannins for good structure, they caressed rather than burned. It has a wonderful sweetness that can't be separated from a balancing mild acidity and touch of what tastes like a sweet new-oak and cedar hybrid. The cedar and some other mature, classy notes provide character and move the experience beyond simple prettiness. Most of the experience comes from the Merlot, but with the masculine, psychologically integrated influence of the two cabs, which speaks of a young woman's femininity in early, but flourishing, maturation. The liquid has a precious color of early maturation, also, but of a rare and beautiful hue, not purple, not brick - a synthesthtsic pastel. The bouquet evokes a beguiling, perfumed beckoning and promise of something extraordinary to follow. And the finish remains today. The beckoning brought Kate Beckinsale to mind, but she was not perfectly right. Parker is a better taster than I am.

kate_beckinsale_photoshoot-2047.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:22 am

Covert, you did fine on the picture, but you omitted one final step, the "Place In Line" command which would get rid of the big white background your pictures ended up with. I fixed these for you.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:25 am

What I really meant to say, with admitted obscurity and indirectness, was that I dislike the genderization of wine, finding its descriptive usefulness entirely tied to gender stereotypes that I would rather not stimulate. But, of course, to each his own.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Covert

Rank

NOT David Caruso

Albany, New York

by Covert » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:37 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:What I really meant to say, with admitted obscurity and indirectness, was that I dislike the genderization of wine, finding its descriptive usefulness entirely tied to gender stereotypes that I would rather not stimulate. But, of course, to each his own.

I don't like songs, but I don't think anybody cares what I don't like. :)