The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Best of the best dinner

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Gary Bobier

Rank

Ultra geek

Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:29 am

Best of the best dinner

by Gary Bobier » Sun Jul 19, 2009 3:53 am

I am planning a rather interesting meal. We will have 10 people and will be spending $1400.00
I figure $1100 on the wine and the balance on the food. We will serve 9 bottles of wine and a bottle of Grappa. 2 bubbly, three white, three red and a dessert white. If you had to pick the three white and the three red what would you choose. The wines should be the best in their respective areas. They should also be progressive in body. The bubbly and the dessert white have already been picked and will cost $150.00.

After I have choosen the wine I will start on the menu.

Gary Bobier
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: Best of the best dinner

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:02 am

Are you inviting whoever helps you out?
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Best of the best dinner

by Dale Williams » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:43 am

Well, obviously you can't do things like '59 Mouton, 61 Palmer, 89 Haut Brion, 90 La Tache, 71 Montofortino, etc. But if we use parameters as "excellent examples of region", you might consider these:

Red
Bdx- for less than $150 I've enjoyed 70 Ducru, Canon, Figeac, '83 Rauzan Segla, Gruaud, '86 Talbot, Gruaud, 90 Pape Clement, Lagrange, Magdelaine
Burg- if you want GC maybe Drouhin Bonne Mares or Griottes, Clos des Lambrays, or a top CdB 1er like Angerville Ducs, Lafarge Chenes, etc. For your budget maybe not top vintages, but things like 2000 are drinking well now and affordable.
Piedmont- again, Giacosa, Conterno etc too expensive. Maybe a good 80s vintage of Marcarini or something.
Tuscany- Montevertine! Or Felsina is another good option, less expensive than Pergole Torte
CA, AU- my tastes tend to differ from mainstream, so I'll leave to others
Loire- ok, here you can get top stuff within your budget. Joguet or Baudry would be good starts. Or you could get mature Olga Raffault.

White:
Burg- culty stuff is out of budget. I'd go for a Pernot GC, either pre-1995 or 2004+. Fevre or Dauvissat GC Chablis.
Alsace- Trimbach CFE is almost as good as Clos Ste Hune (you could get CSH, but would have to be recent vintage).
Loire- you can buy Huet for your budget. Plus Dagueneau Pouillys or Cotat Sancerres
Germany- tons of options, well under budget

I could go on forever. Here's a list that would have you well under budget and a fine dinner:
2004 F. Cotat "Culs de Beaujeu" Sancerre ($30-40)
1990 Trimbach CFE ($100)
2004 Pernot Bien. B-M ($100-120)

95 Felsina Rancia ($50)
03 Joguet Dioterie ($50)
86 Talbot ($150)