The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: '06 Forest Glen Merlot

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

WTN: '06 Forest Glen Merlot

by Carl Eppig » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:03 pm

2006 Forest Glen, California, Merlot ($6.99 NH Liq Store). Alcohol level: 13.5%. This was a bargain recommendation from Dan Berger a couple of months ago; a surprise from Fred and his friends at Bronco.

Anytime we can find an American Merlot for less that $15 that has more dimensions than plums and oak we are hoppy. This one gave not just plums but also black fruit and berries on the nose and upfront. There was more fruit in the remarkably complex middle, and the finish was slightly but not unpleasantly tart.

We matched it with warmed over Carbonnades a La Flamande, and freshly prepared mashed potatoes, and glazed carrots. The wine went very well with it, and made for a delightful Saturday night. .
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: '06 Forest Glen Merlot

by Jenise » Mon Jul 20, 2009 7:27 pm

Carl, a friend of mine used to buy Forest Glen merlot by the case, and I remember being quite surprised by how good it was for the money. It had complexity and structure, wasn't the typical "smooth" fruit-bomb one usually expects at that price.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Ryan M

Rank

Wine Gazer

Wed Jul 09, 2008 3:01 pm

Atchison, KS

Re: WTN: '06 Forest Glen Merlot

by Ryan M » Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:09 am

I had a Forest Glen Merlot a few years ago (don't remember what vintage) that was about a year post-release, and honestly, it could have used a bit more time. Nice to know it wasn't a fluke - will have to try again sometime.
"The sun, with all those planets revolving about it and dependent on it, can still ripen a bunch of grapes as if it had nothing else to do"
Galileo Galilei

(avatar: me next to the WIYN 3.5 meter telescope at Kitt Peak National Observatory)