The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bdx, Burg, Loire, and rosado

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Bdx, Burg, Loire, and rosado

by Dale Williams » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:28 pm

With swordfish and a baby bok choy salad, the 2007 Fevre “Champs Royaux” Chablis. Clean and minerally, lemony citrus and Granny Smith, good acidity, nice if not especially long finish. B

Last night I convened a meeting of the Dobbs Ferry chapter of Guys Whose Wives Are Away At Music Festivals, Yoga Camps, or Family Visits. Alex showed up first, with his Golden Retriever Storm, who rollicked with Lucy (our lone female) in yard till they were both exhausted. I was still working on dinner as we explored the 2008 Preto Prieto Picudo(Tierra de Leon) Rosado (I'm not sure if Preto or Prieto Picudo is the winery). Fairly muscular rose, dark red fruit with alittle herb, good enough to happily drink, but with so many other roses to try not running back for more. B

Theme for evening was Manly Men Masticating Mucho Meat, but Stew's had lobsters for $5/lb, so I got a couple to make a sloppy version of Betsy's lobster/corn/tomato salad. Once we sat down I opened my second half bottle of 1982 Pierre Bouree Puligny-Montrachet. Yep, 27 year old village negociant from 375, but last bottle was surprisingly attractive. This one has gunk under capsule, but a nice intact cork comes out. Seems more like a ready 10 year old wine, some pear with butterscotch. Not especially stunning, but a solid mature white Burg. My friend Dave says it :"smells like food", a phrase I should have pressed for elaboration on. B

Now for the main event, 2 lb porterhouses served "bleu." Accompanied by
grilled potato salad, squash, and green salad (as garnish only, so not to interfere with our beefiness). A couple of reds with meat:

1990 La Louviere (Pessac-Leognan) rouge
I've always liked this wine, and this bottle is no exception. Not really tight at decanting, but after an hour really showing as open and giving. Medium-bodied, dark berry and currant fruit, aromas of walk-in humidor and earth. Mostly resolved tannins, but stands up to steak just fine. A-

2005 Filliatreau “Vieilles Vignes”Saumur-Champigny
Served a little chilled, which tended to (over)emphasize the tannins and acids. Nice fruit base of red and black cherries, with accents of
coffee and spice. Bigger style of Loire CF, this would probably benefit from some cellar time. I quite like. B+

Thunderstorm moved into area, we moved inside, and opened another (totally unneccessary) bottle, the 2002 Ch. de Chorey “Vignes Franches” Beaune 1er. More open than a bottle of the 1999 recently, full-bodied and mid-modern with black cherries, mocha, and a rather lush mouthfeel. Some tannins, moderate acidity. Good length. More fruit-forward than elegant. B/B+

Fun night with the guys.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Bdx, Burg, Loire, and rosado

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:12 pm

Nice line up.

There's a restaurant that Laura and I went to several times while in Jasper, AB that always had the Fevre Champs Royeax on the list. I think I bought it 3 times & it was always very reliable.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Matt Richman

Rank

Wine guru

Tue Jul 31, 2007 12:16 pm

Brooklyn, NY

by Matt Richman » Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:07 pm

Sounds fabulous, Dale.

Living the dream.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:47 am

Matt Richman wrote:Living the dream.

Actually "the dream" includes the wife. But for boy's night, pretty fun.
no avatar
User

JC (NC)

Rank

Lifelong Learner

Mon Mar 27, 2006 12:23 pm

Fayetteville, NC

by JC (NC) » Tue Jul 21, 2009 1:54 pm

Dale,
I hope Betsy reads your last comment.