The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Donnhoff, Karthauserhof, Ostertag, Kreydenweiss

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

WTN: Donnhoff, Karthauserhof, Ostertag, Kreydenweiss

by Salil » Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:58 am

Opened with parents and family-friends a couple of days ago:
2006 Donnhoff Norheimer Kirschheck Riesling Spatlese (Nahe, Germany)
Excellent once again. Elegant and silken-textured with a lovely flavour profile of cherries, peaches, yellow fruits and minerals; the botrytis is barely noticeable here, with only a faint honeyed edge showing on the back end. Great balance with a very long and slightly sweet finish.

Dinner with Yixin
2006 Karthauserhof Eitelsbacher Karthauserhofberg Riesling Spatlese trocken (MSR, Germany)
Very aromatic with lots of lime and lemon flavours on the nose mingled with stony minerals, smoke and floral notes. The real fireworks are in the mouth though; this feels very silky and polished with an incredible brightness and purity to the fruit (not a hint of botrytis, despite the vintage) and a ton of acidity underneath that gives this a sense of buzzing energy and rapier-like precision. Awesome.

2001 Domaine Ostertag Pinot Gris Muenchberg (Alsace, France)
Bright orange-gold in colour (uh-oh), dead and oxidative and no longer resembling anything drinkable. Darn.

2006 Marc Kreydenweiss Costières-de-Nîmes Domaine des Perrières (Costières-de-Nîmes, France)
60% Carignan, 20% Syrah, 20% Grenache. Packed with bright red and dark fruited flavours, earth and meaty elements and notes of Provencal herbs that emerge with some more air. There's plenty of acidity here that gives the fruit a sense of real freshness and a spine of grainy, chalky tannins that gives this a slightly rough and rustic feel. Finishes with medium length, very enjoyable wine particularly with food (a really great match for a plate of choucroute).
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Donnhoff, Karthauserhof, Ostertag, Kreydenweiss

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:26 pm

Lovely note on the Kirschheck. I see I am going to have to wean you off trockens when you get back to the USA. :wink:
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:19 pm

Interesting wines to drink with Yixin. Were those BYO or off a list?

The Karthauserhof sounds like fun, exactly what would bring a smile to my face.
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:35 pm

The Kreydenweiss was off a list at a wine bistro here (which had a very cool wine list with a surprising number of Loire/Alsace picks).

We brought the other wines; Yixin also had brought a '99 Pinotage from a producer in South Africa I can't remember that tasted like a overripe Zin with a ton of acidity that didn't seem balanced/integrated. Very enjoyable evening. And yeah, that Karthauserhof was awesome - although there's more dry wine like that where that came from.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 18, 2009 2:25 pm

Salil Benegal wrote:Yixin also had brought a '99 Pinotage from a producer in South Africa I can't remember that tasted like a overripe Zin with a ton of acidity that didn't seem balanced/integrated..

Sounds like he was torturing you and living up to his reputation! :D

But, good fun and I'm sure the Karthauserhof made it all worthwhile..