The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

syrah!

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Laura S

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:41 pm

syrah!

by Laura S » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:14 pm

Hi. Please excuse this post if I am not supposed to ask this type of question. I am new and usually just read, not post. My friend recently had a bottle of wine she really enjoyed, but forgot to save the label and/or copy the information from it. I told her I would try to help her find it based on the little information she was able to provide. The label is smaller than usual and has simply the word Syrah! across the front of it. She says it is written in a cursive-like font and that the label is mostly red and yellow. She purchased the wine in Florida, and said it probably cost between $10-20. If you know of this wine, or know of a website I could possibly research to find it, please let me know.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: syrah!

by Jenise » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:40 pm

Laura, your question's just fine--we love to help! Unfortunately, we may not be much help with this one. Neither Google nor some of the search engines built especially for wine locating turn up anything for "Syrah!". Hopefully someone will recognize the label based on your description, but this could turn out to be a one-off kind of thing that one of the corporate wineries came up with to sell bulk juice vs. a regular production wine so not readily recognizable except to some retailers in certain markets.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:44 pm

Oh I know what you are looking for but the name escapes me right now. I have not seen this in years. Believe this is French import to the US market. It use to be widely distributed. You may be able to go to your largest value brand wine shop and find it on the shelf.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:44 pm

If she knows the shop then we might be able to do an on-line inventory search.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Brian Gilp

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 23, 2006 5:50 pm

by Brian Gilp » Fri Jul 17, 2009 12:46 pm

Well my memory kicked in faster than I expected but now I am not sure that this is what you are looking for.

See http://www.les-jamelles.com/us/wine-10-les-jamelles-syrah.php
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:36 pm

Les Jamelles is the one I was thinking of, but I kept coming up with Les Jumelles.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Drew Hall

Rank

Wine guru

Mon May 26, 2008 8:07 am

Bel Air, Maryland

by Drew Hall » Sat Jul 18, 2009 6:31 am

Might be this one........Robert Davis Syrah Cotes du Rhone

Robert Davis Syrah is the product of a joint venture between Rhone producer Domaine du Bois Saint Jean and Alan Cohen, owner of local importer LVDH. The wine is mainly Syrah with just a dash of Grenache.

Drew
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
no avatar
User

Laura S

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Mar 14, 2009 12:41 pm

by Laura S » Sat Jul 18, 2009 4:45 pm

Thank all of you for your help. I do not believe it is the Les Jamelles, but perhaps it is the Robert Davis. I am going to show her the picture you included to see if it is the one. Regarding the store at which she bought it, unfortunately she had bought it several months ago, the last time she visited her daughter in Florida. They ended up not drinking it, and her daughter had saved it for her next visit. Since it was a while ago she is not sure exactly where she bought it, but she has been going to the stores in the area. Obviously, like us, the workers in the stores are having difficulty since all she knows is "Syrah!" Again, thanks for your responses.