The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Which shape is better for red burg & bojo?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Which shape is better for red burg & bojo?

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:58 pm

I use the "fish bowl" on the left for red burgundy (and cru beaujolais) but noticed that the Riedel site recommends it only for white burgundy. Riedel suggests these two other shapes (for both red burg & bojo). In Burgundy last year, we encountered all three shapes in restaurants. Do you have preferences?

BurgWineGlasses.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

Re: Which shape is better for red burg & bojo?

by Daniel Rogov » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:13 pm

I admire the Riedel glasses but once wrote an article that if one followed their advice on every recommended glass and wanted six glasses of each one would need a shelf 22 feet long and 9 feet high.

Me, I'm for the white Burgundy glass for all Burgundy whites and reds as well as for cru Beaujolais wines.

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:38 pm

I think the one on the left is the Montrachet glass? It is good also for red Burgundies, IMO. I have the Vinum Burgundy which is somewhat similar - maybe a bit bigger and more curved inward at the top - that I use for Bojo, Burg and white Musar and such wines that seem to need a big bowl. There is a wine bar in Helsinki that uses the middle glass and I really love it - but for two reasons I haven't bought them. 1) I don't really see all that much differences in the glasses and 2) they are expensive. I think any big bowl should work with the wines.
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:30 pm

I don't get too wrapped up in worrying about stems. That said, I have a lot of stems and you might as well use them. I have Burg stems in both left and center shapes. My preference for red Burgundy is the one in the middle. Sometimes I use the one of left (fishbowl) for bigger white Burgs, but most of the time I use a smaller (though not small) stem- about 14oz, the Schott Zweisel Chardonnay I think. Which is actually what I usually use for red Beaujolais, too.
no avatar
User

Ian Sutton

Rank

Spanna in the works

Sun Apr 09, 2006 2:10 pm

Norwich, UK

by Ian Sutton » Wed Jul 15, 2009 6:14 pm

Daniel Rogov wrote:I admire the Riedel glasses but once wrote an article that if one followed their advice on every recommended glass and wanted six glasses of each one would need a shelf 22 feet long and 9 feet high.

... and them very profitable indeed :lol:
Drink coffee, do stupid things faster
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:09 am

Thanks everyone for your responses. I checked the Vinum Burgundy glass Otto mentions and found this curious commentary attached to its description:

NOTE: Although this glass is quite differently shaped from the equivalent Sommeliers glass, the Burgundy Grand Cru (400/16), both designs are as effective in bringing out the character of the wine because they control the flow of the wine onto the palate in the same manner.

Not that I totally buy into the notion that each wine has an ideal shape of glass, but this seems positively subversive of the concept in declaring that two quite different shapes can be equally good...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:31 pm

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Not that I totally buy into the notion that each wine has an ideal shape of glass...

No? Here is the dual purpose Vinum Pinotage and Carmenere glass - even comes with a cover to keep down evaporation!

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:07 pm

I like that cover better than cork!