The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTNs: 07 Chamonard Fleurie and 06 Descombes Morgon

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTNs: 07 Chamonard Fleurie and 06 Descombes Morgon

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Jul 15, 2009 7:04 am

Last night was Marcia's mother's birthday and she came over for dinner. She has loved Beaujolais ever since Marcia gave her a bottle of Jadot Beaujolais Villages (which I totally don't disrespect, unlike Duboeuf) last year. So I, insensitive brute, decided to treat her to some loftier Bojos, instead of just giving her what she likes. Here we contrast Morgon (always my favorite) to Fleurie.

2007 Domaine Joseph Chamonard Fleurie La Madone 12.5%
Very fragrant but straightforward aromas of light cherry and raspberry. Weight is lovely, though a bit on the light side, correct acid/sweet balance. Touch of yeast on the finish. An attractive wine, close to delicious, but I don't see myself buying more.

2006 Georges Descombes Morgon 13.0%
Annoying wax seal. Has anyone figured out a way to remove these gracefully? Rich dark cherry aroma with violets, cloves and a whiff of eucalyptus. Perfect acid/sweet balance, more substantial mouth feel than the preceding, very satisfying. Superb for a basic Morgon, would definitely buy more.

Judging from the faint praise, I think she still prefers Jadot.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTNs: 07 Chamonard Fleurie and 06 Descombes Morgon

by Rahsaan » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:29 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Judging from the faint praise, I think she still prefers Jadot.

Why?

What is there to prefer in Jadot BV to the Descombes Morgon?
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:29 am

Rahsaan wrote:
Oswaldo Costa wrote:Judging from the faint praise, I think she still prefers Jadot.

Why?

What is there to prefer in Jadot BV to the Descombes Morgon?

Ask your mother-in-law!

Seriously, the JBV is an undemanding, juicy, fruity wine that is probably easier to like for a less experienced palate, no? This reminds me of Jenise's story of meeting Mme. Nicolay from Chandon de Briailles. She only invited Jenise & co. over after ascertaining that they weren't fans of "ze easy wines."
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:24 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:Seriously, the JBV is an undemanding, juicy, fruity wine that is probably easier to like for a less experienced palate, no?

I guess. But Descombes Morgon is also pretty juicy fruity and fun, at least to me. It's not like it's wickedly acidic or painfully tannic or anything. But, who knows what unexperienced palates do when they swallow wine. I guess they also evaluate things differently.