WTN - 2004 Marchesi di Gresy Moscato d'Asti La Serra

The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Moderators: Jenise, David M. Bueker, Robin Garr

WTN - 2004 Marchesi di Gresy Moscato d'Asti La Serra

Postby John S » Wed Aug 02, 2006 1:37 am

2004 Marchesi di Gresy Moscato d'Asti La Serra - Italy, Piedmont, Asti, Moscato d'Asti (8/1/2006)
From a half bottle. Light golden yellow in color, with a nose of ripe peaches, apricots, tropical fruits and a floral note. Lightly frizzante, with a rich, smooth, fruity palate. Nice balance of sweetness and acidity, so it's quite refreshing. Well made, flavourful moscato. Drink up. (B+)
John S
Wine guru

Re: WTN - 2004 Marchesi di Gresy Moscato d'Asti La Serra

Postby Ian Sutton » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:42 pm

John
Thanks for this - I've yet to encounter a poorly made or unenjoyable Moscato D'Asti. It may not be complex, or even serious, but it always seems to give pleasure.
regards
Ian
Ian Sutton
Spanna in the works

Re: WTN - 2004 Marchesi di Gresy Moscato d'Asti La Serra

Postby John S » Wed Aug 02, 2006 8:49 pm

Ive had a couple that were a little too sweet and thus unbalanced, but you're right, they tend to be almost dangerously too drinkable. But of course, with only 5.5% alcohol, they aren't at all dangerous!

But I think the corollary of this is also true: while it's hard to find an objectionable moscato d'asti, it's also hard to find a spectacular one. As you say, though, it's not a 'serious' wine (whatever than means), just a highly enjoyable one. Seriously enjoyable, I guess!

Is there a yummier summertime aperatif? I think not!! A few bubbles, gobs of fruit, some residual sugar and low alcohol - what's not to love?
John S
Wine guru

Return to The Wine Forum