The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Vire-Clesse, Petite Arvine, Concha y Toro, Snoqualmie

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

WTN: Vire-Clesse, Petite Arvine, Concha y Toro, Snoqualmie

by Jay Labrador » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:03 pm

Notes from a dinner meeting at Cafe Ysabel.

Domaine de la Bongran Thevenet Cuvee Tradition Selection E. J. Thevenet 2003 - From Vire-Clesse. Medium-dark gold. A little spicy with gentle, lightly honeyed sweetness. Smoky. A little bitter in the finish. Probably perfect now and although I found it good the first time I tried it about a year ago, it's showing much better now. Very good.

Le Pichet Petite Arvine AOC Valais 2007 - Medium gold. Definite sulfur on the nose which blew off after some vigorous swirling to be replaced by honey notes. On the palate, yellow tropical fruit and orange. Abrupt and acidic finish. Pleasant wine for immediate consumption.

Concha y Toro Casillero del Diablo Cabernet Sauvignon 2007 - Firm, vibrant, modern. Leafy tobacco. Good varietal character. Dryish and a little short on the finish. Good, solid wine for the price.

Snoqualmie Reserve Columbia Valley Cabernet Sauvignon 2002 - Curry spice. Soft. Blackcurrant. Oakiness evident but not overdone. Acidic finish. Probably just past peak for my taste although it's still a good drink. Just not too interesting.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Vire-Clesse, Petite Arvine, Concha y Toro, Snoqualmie

by David M. Bueker » Tue Jul 14, 2009 9:27 pm

I'm just surprised you had access to a Snoqualmie.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:18 pm

Snoqualmie in the Philipines--I'm pleased that you were able to be kind to it. Overall the brand is not one of my home state's better efforts by far, and the wines are typically oaky, soft and more inclined toward fruit-forwardness than not for the segment of the market whose favorite wine adjective is "smooth". That said, I actually enjoyed a bottle of the Reserve cab that my friend Susan opened late one night not long ago, but all the other Snoqualmies I've had were sub-par.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Jay Labrador

Rank

J-Lab's in da house!

Fri Mar 24, 2006 10:34 am

Manila, Philippines

by Jay Labrador » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:32 am

David M. Bueker wrote:I'm just surprised you had access to a Snoqualmie.

This was imported a few years back but didn't sell well. The importer is trying to sell off whatever stocks remain. I don't think any more of it was brought in.
Three be the things I shall never attain:
Envy, content, and sufficient champagne.