The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

News Flash: Wine geek drinks Pegau

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: News Flash: Wine geek drinks Pegau

by David M. Bueker » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:04 pm

You're lucky to have owned the 1990s. I started with the 1996.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

by David Glasser » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:21 pm

I like Pegau, and I'm not embarassed to say so. At $70 it is getting very pricey. There are plenty of other CduPs that offer great pleasure for less $$, but I still plunked down for a couple of bottles of the '07.

I think the Reservees start drinking well around 8 years out or so, but can continue to improve. The '95 is drinking well now. The Laurences do need more time.
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:29 pm

David Glasser wrote:I like Pegau, and I'm not embarassed to say so. At $70 it is getting very pricey. There are plenty of other CduPs that offer great pleasure for less $$, but I still plunked down for a couple of bottles of the '07.

I think the Reservees start drinking well around 8 years out or so, but can continue to improve. The '95 is drinking well now. The Laurences do need more time.

David, locally here in Lexington the Reservee went to $100 (or 99.99) with the 2003 vtg, and has been above $90 ever since, so if you can get it for $70, that is a relative bargain. Truth be told though I haven't looked for it in East Coast stores that will ship to Ky, so I guess I am lucky I have about 12-18 bottles of Pegau from a mix of vintages.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David Glasser

Rank

Ultra geek

Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:51 am

Maryland

by David Glasser » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:39 am

Bob, it's nice to have those bottles purchased before prices shot up. I don't know if they ship to KY, and $70 + shipping might already be too much of a price barrier, but Wine Searcher shows 6 places at that price level for the '07 Pegau Reservee.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:10 am

The 06 Pegau is $75 Can. and can be had, according to online searches, at $60-70 US.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:13 am

'06 prices have been dropping. I only bought 3, but at around $60. Unless something changes that will be likely be the last Pegau I ever buy. Given the huge increase in the quality of Cotes du Rhone I don't feel much need to buy a lot of Chateauneuf du Pape these days.
no avatar
User

wrcstl

Rank

Wine guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 2:20 pm

St. Louis

by wrcstl » Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:56 am

David M. Bueker wrote:'06 prices have been dropping. I only bought 3, but at around $60. Unless something changes that will be likely be the last Pegau I ever buy. Given the huge increase in the quality of Cotes du Rhone I don't feel much need to buy a lot of Chateauneuf du Pape these days.

'05 (classic), '06 (more fruit forward) and '07 (best of both previous years) cannot be beat for excellent quality CdR. I suspect it will come to and end eventually and we will no longer be able to buy great drinking wines for $15. That will be a shock.
Walt
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

by Mark S » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:44 am

Bill Spohn wrote:Everyone drinks it too young. I had one of my remaining bottles of 1990 Lawrence recently - just right!

The 1985 Laurence was excellent as well in the mid-late 90's.
no avatar
User

Daniel Rogov

Rank

Resident Curmudgeon

Fri Jul 04, 2008 3:10 am

Tel Aviv, Israel

by Daniel Rogov » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:24 pm

Perhaps of interest to those curious about or who adore/despite/scorn Pegau - a vertical tasting 1989-2006. My comments and tasting notes posted at viewtopic.php?f=29&t=25507

Best
Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Henrick

Rank

Kamado Kommander

Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:35 pm

Lexington, Ky.

by Bob Henrick » Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:56 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:'06 prices have been dropping. I only bought 3, but at around $60. Unless something changes that will be likely be the last Pegau I ever buy. Given the huge increase in the quality of Cotes du Rhone I don't feel much need to buy a lot of Chateauneuf du Pape these days.

David, I too buy CdR wines instead of many CndP and given prices I suppose that will continue. I would like to know which of the CdR's that you find can replace the CdnP, with the least amount of fall off in quality.

Bill Spohn: if you read this I would like to read your list too.

Thanks in advance.
Bob Henrick
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:26 pm

Bob,

My current favorites are the 2007 Domaine de la Garrigue Cuvee Romaine (which I also purchased in 1998, 2000 and 2001) and the 2005 Clos du Mont Olivet Monteuil de Levade Vieilles Vignes (which I am trying to find in its 2007 incarnation, but I've really liked 2005 and 2006).

The Garrigue cost me $12 as did the Olivet.
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:16 pm

Bob Henrick wrote:Bill Spohn: if you read this I would like to read your list too.

I still buy CNduP. I'm just pretty selective in what I buy.

Just bought some killer lesser Rhone as well - 2006 Domaine de La Mordorée 'Cuvée de la Reine des Bois' Lirac.

CNduP I bought in the last vintages include the Vatican Sixtine and the Cristia VV.
Previous