The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Petaluma Merlot 1998

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 3:49 am

Canberra, Australia

WTN: Petaluma Merlot 1998

by David Lole » Tue Jul 14, 2009 7:13 pm

This outstanding 100% Coonawarra merlot displays a very deep youthful dark ruby colour, medium- to full-weight, is loaded with deliciously fragrant plummy, earthy fruit, nicely counterbalanced by high-calibre new savoury French oak and reveals terrific line and length. Dusty tannins and bright integrated acidity deliver a still quite boisterous structure and the merest hint of some varietal vegetal character (a hint of roast turnip) is no bad thing whatsoever. Needs more time to be at its peak. A well-constructed, balanced, classy red still pretty much in primary mode. 14.0% A/V, perfect fill level and a good quality cork with the only wine staining found along its base. 92 points. If you have any, try one now, but do try to keep a couple back until 2020, if you can.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

Re: WTN: Petaluma Merlot 1998

by ChefJCarey » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:03 pm

DL, do you know the history of the winery/wine? Interesting to me that the name would be from the Coast Miwok Indians of Northern California. (It means backside of a hill). I've spent time in Petaluma, CA.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT
no avatar
User

Mark Kogos

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Jan 13, 2009 2:16 am

Sydney Australia

by Mark Kogos » Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:10 am

David

That is interesting. The only Aus merlot I have is the Petaluma 2001. Have you tried this vintage? I meant to grab one out of the cellar the other day but could not be bothered moving all the cases in front of it.

Mark
Miss dhem Saints.
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:03 am

ChefJCarey wrote:DL, do you know the history of the winery/wine? Interesting to me that the name would be from the Coast Miwok Indians of Northern California. (It means backside of a hill). I've spent time in Petaluma, CA.

Sorry I have not replied to your question earlier, Joe. I'll do some digging and get back to you on this next week.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

David Lole

Rank

Wine guru

Canberra, Australia

by David Lole » Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:04 am

Mark Kogos wrote:David

That is interesting. The only Aus merlot I have is the Petaluma 2001. Have you tried this vintage? I meant to grab one out of the cellar the other day but could not be bothered moving all the cases in front of it.

Mark

No, Mark. Can't help you on the 2001.
Cheers,

David
no avatar
User

Paul Simpson

Rank

Cellar rat

Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:19 am

Illinois

by Paul Simpson » Sat Jul 18, 2009 3:53 pm

I seem to recall Brian Croser (ex Petaluma) spent time in Petaluma, CA before starting the winery and had some good times there.

Paul
Paul Simpson, Retailer