The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

TN: Rioja and Port '82; Alsace PG '04

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

TN: Rioja and Port '82; Alsace PG '04

by Saina » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:47 pm

• 2004 Gustave Lorentz Pinot Gris Altenberg de Bergheim - France, Alsace, Bergheim, Alsace Grand Cru AOC (7/14/2009)
    14,5% abv; reduced from 28€ to 20€! 15g/l rs; 5 g/l acidity. Golden colour. The wine smells of spice and glue and promises sweetness and richness. It is, indeed, rich, but the sweetness promised in the scent is restrained and it comes off as off-dry. Fair acidity and liveliness despite the richness. The high alcohol is not noticeable. I did admire much in this wine, but I do prefer a lighter style of Pinot Gris (e.g. Domaine Loew) when it comes to these dry or almost so examples.
  • 1982 Bodegas Montecillo Rioja Gran Reserva Seleccion Especial - Spain, La Rioja, Rioja (7/14/2009)
    12,5% abv; 56€. Impeccable level - as high as in a just bottled wine -, cork in great condition but about 2/3 wet. Mature, but healthy colour: deep red core, some browning on the rim. The aromas felt a bit claustrophobic in the Riedel Tempranillo glass so I poured it into a Pinot Noir fishbowl. The scent starts out almost boisterously and with the sweetness and ripeness showing rather more than expected (and hoped). Gladly the leafy, aged aromas of mature Rioja soon appeared and pushed the sweetness and ripeness to the background (though they never did disappear). It had wonderful scents of ripe, red fruit and some citrus lift. Quite full bodied, moderate and refreshing acidity, but this was a fruit forward wine for its age. It seems like a well aged wine of a warmer year (but was it a hot vintage in Rioja?), drinking at its peak. No decline over five hours open. Very enjoyable.
  • 1982 Ferreira Porto Vintage - Portugal, Douro, Porto (7/14/2009)
    A really charming Port! It might not be a great vintage for VP, nor perhaps one of the best houses for VP (I adore their 20yo Tawny, though), but this '82 is drinking well and is showing some maturity and is just a great deal of fun. Like Ferreira in my experience usually, this is on the sweeter end of what one usually sees in VPs, but is well balanced with some tobacco scents bringing in the savoury aspects. Very nice and drinking very well though not hugely complex.
Posted from CellarTracker
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.