The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2006 Tissot Arbois Poulsard Vieilles Vignes

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2006 Tissot Arbois Poulsard Vieilles Vignes

by Oswaldo Costa » Tue Jul 14, 2009 8:34 am

2006 Domaine Andre et Mireille Tissot Arbois Poulsard Vieilles Vignes 12.5%
Vinified by Stephane Tissot, farmed biodynamically. Muted nose on bottleneck, so decanted for an hour (also recommended on label). Aromas of sour cherry and sousbois (Marcia found wild strawberry). Before food, mouth-puckering acidity, definitely more acid than sweet, with a very mild yeasty finish. Very light tannins. Better balance after food, but still austere. No sign of the fact that Tissot supposedly picks his grapes over-ripe. Compared to the joyful 99 and 04 Overnoy/Houillon poulsards we tasted earlier in the year, this was like Spock next to Kirk.

I have no previous experience with Tissot, but think this was a little closed and should improve greatly within a couple of years. Marcia liked it much more than I, saying "delicious" several times. Asked about the excessive acidity, she said it didn't bother her as long as not compounded by strong tannins, like in yesterday's Texier Pergault (which I liked much more).
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Mark S

Rank

Wine guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:28 pm

CNY

Re: WTN: 2006 Tissot Arbois Poulsard Vieilles Vignes

by Mark S » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:14 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:... this was like Spock next to Kirk.

I'm guessing the Overnoy had a gorgeous sidekick?
Love the analogy!

My only experience with a Tissot (cannot even remember whether it was a red or white!) soured me on buying any more. I found it to be neutral, acidic, no character. Your note doesn't make me want to change that.