The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2008 Los Vascos Chardonnay

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

WTN: 2008 Los Vascos Chardonnay

by Jenise » Sun Jul 12, 2009 8:38 pm

Over the years I've bought this Chilean chardonnay a number of times, and it's been anything from Macon-yellow and sunny-ripe to cold climate sharp and austere. That's easy to understand if you've visited the winery--it's almost four hours south of Santiago and the wineries that produce most of the wine we think of as Chilean, and therefore less temperate and more subject to vintage variations. It's almost never the same wine two years in a row. So why do I buy it? Because it's generally always a good $10 summer buy, and when they get it right there's almost no competition for the money.

They got it right in 2008. Very pale yellow. Flowers and pears in the nose and apples, pears, bay leaf spice and lemon-lime on the palate. Medium body with no obvious oak; bright and pleasing acidity.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

Re: WTN: 2008 Los Vascos Chardonnay

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:10 am

Thanks for the note, good to know they got this one right because it's widely available in these parts.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.