The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Bastille Day, with 3 colors of wine

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Bastille Day, with 3 colors of wine

by Dale Williams » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:22 pm

I went to an early Bastille Day party last night, probably 40% French, 40% US-born, and 20% "other." Great crowd of people, with intriguing conversations. Food was really delicious- pork, salmon, cucumber soup, gazpacho, charcuterie, outstanding cheeses, etc. But the culinary high point for me was the salad Nicoise - I'll have to copy Fred's plan. He put out separately dressed beans, potatoes, olives, anchovies, eggs, and sliced tuna in varying degrees of doneness. Self-assembly, with people choosing only what they want. Perfect for a party!

Lots of wine, mostly but not exclusively French:

White
2007 Paul Pernot Bourgogne
I've consistently really enjoyed this. Ripe and full but with good acids, clean pear fruit with just ahint of oak and nice chalky finish. Great value. B+

2007 Giraudon Bourgogne Aligote
Lean and maybe a bit green, citric. Light, straightforward. B/B-

Pink

2008 Domaine Sainte Lucie "MiP" (Cotes de Provence)
Very pale, tasty, pretty strawberry fruit with alittle underbrush and herb, quite nice. B+

2008 Robert Oatley Rose of Sangiovese ( Mudgee, Australia)
Bigger, a touch austere, I'd have never guessed Sangiovese. Cherry, straightforward. B

2008 Mas de Gourgonnier ( Les Baux de Provence)
Red berries, herbs, citrusy acids. B

2008 Folie a Deux "Menage a Trois" Rose
Somewhat exotic nose, bigger than other roses, a tad disjointed, seems a bit hot. B-/C+

2008 Domaine Bart Marsannay Rose
Really nice, Rainier cherries and sweet raspberry, clean and light, zippy acids, neck and neck with the MiP as my favorite. B+

Red

2007 Gonon "Les Iles Feray" (Vin de Pays de l'Ardeche). 
I brought this but Fred had some too! Dark fruits, smoke, pepper, good acids and length. Very nice for $16 Syrah! B+

2006 Cousin "Pur Breton" Anjou
Just a little brett, very high acidity, red fruit with a little tobacco and that poop. I like better than some others. B

2007  Domaine de Boissan "Cuvee Clemence" Cotes-du-Rhone-Villages Sablet
Ripe, forward, some light tannins, not bad at all. B

2005 Les Tonillieres Pic St Loup
Big, low acid, tannins a little hard, short finish for a big wine. B-

Excellent night with excellent people

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Bastille Day, with 3 colors of wine

by Rahsaan » Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:11 pm

Dale Williams wrote:Self-assembly, with people choosing only what they want. Perfect for a party! 

Indeed that is perfect for a party. To the extent that it is possible and doesn't disrupt serving situations, it is always nice to give people more options when serving themselves.

Except with salt! I never put salt on the table (this is on my mind because my uncle and cousin just asked for extra salt on their eggs this morning - and usually I'm not one to be accused of under salting...).
no avatar
User

Carl Eppig

Rank

Our Maine man

Tue Jun 13, 2006 1:38 pm

Middleton, NH, USA

by Carl Eppig » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:20 pm

I guess you couldn't find any blue ones!
no avatar
User

ChefJCarey

Rank

Wine guru

Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:06 pm

Noir Side of the Moon

by ChefJCarey » Sun Jul 12, 2009 3:40 pm

Carl Eppig wrote:I guess you couldn't find any blue ones!

They should all be red for the blood that ran in the streets on Bastille Day in 1789 - and 1968.
Rex solutus est a legibus - NOT