The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Dinner with a new friend (2 Rieslings & a Truchot)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

WTN: Dinner with a new friend (2 Rieslings & a Truchot)

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:18 am

Adam Noble was in the area visiting family, and he came by for dinner with the wife and me. We had a great time getting to know each other, and enjoyed some good wines with our meal.

2001 Wittmann Westhofener Aulerde Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Rheinhessen (7/11/2009)
Served with assorted hard and soft cheeses, this wine has come into its own, showing distinct pineapple flavors, a touch of spice and a smoky edge that adds complexity. The fruit and acid balance very well. While it may not be "at peak" it is giving a lot of pleasure right now.

2001 Weingut Weegmüller Haardter Bürgergarten Riesling Spätlese - Germany, Pfalz (7/11/2009)
Not nearly as showy as the Wittmann, this wine was much more linear compared to the opulence of the Aulerde. Grapefruit and mineral tones took center stage, and really gave the impression of requiring more cellar time. So typically for 2001 the hit rate is 50% for wines being ready to drink versus needing more time to show themselves. There's some very good depth here, but even a couple of hours didn't loosen it up much.

2005 Domaine Truchot-Martin Morey St. Denis 1er Cru Clos Sorbes Vieilles Vignes - France, Burgundy, Côte de Nuits, Morey St. Denis 1er Cru (7/11/2009)
Ruby red and not at all clear, I was expecting this wine to be a bit closed, but wanted to open it for Adam who had never tasted a Truchot Burgundy. It was certainly quite the introduction, as the aromatics were beguiling, one of those times where drinking the wine seemed almost unnecessary. We did drink it with some grilled tenderloin steaks, and it matched up with the food very well. An almost shockingly good showing for a 2005 Burgundy right now, but then Truchot seems to always perform well.

Thanks for stopping by Adam & thanks for the Pacalet!
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Dinner with a new friend (2 Rieslings & a Truchot)

by Salil » Mon Jul 13, 2009 1:19 am

My experience with the 01 Weegmuller Burgergarten was very different - the bottle I had showed a lot more advanced (although it had been sitting with a retailer until this spring).
The Wittmann sounds lovely - wish we could see his wines (at least the sweet ones, now that Crush is bringing in all his GGs) in the market a bit more often. All the sweet and dry wines I've had from that estate have been sensational with amazing balance and richness. (Unfortunately I think I finished off the last of that '99 Morstein Auslese I bought at Table & Vine...)