The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 2007 Texier Cote du Rhone Brezeme

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

WTN: 2007 Texier Cote du Rhone Brezeme

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:20 am

WTN: 2007 Eric Texier Cote du Rhone Brezeme 12.0%
Our first Texier. Good quality natural cork. Bottleneck aroma was muted, so decanted for an hour. In the glass, elegant dark cherry and tar, with some chalkiness and vitamin B complex. Tastes saline, with good acidity and density and a pleasantly tart finish. Not multi-layered, but tasty and without flaws. A good expression of CdR, but not enough to understand the buzz surrounding Texier. So tonight we'll raise the stakes and take his 06 Domaine de Pergault V.V. to the scaffold.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: 2007 Texier Cote du Rhone Brezeme

by Rahsaan » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:53 am

Oswaldo Costa wrote:A good expression of CdR, but not enough to understand the buzz surrounding Texier. So tonight we'll raise the stakes and take his 06 Domaine de Pergault V.V. to the scaffold.

That will definitely raise the stakes, although it still may not explain the buzz which at times may seem quite hyped on these boards. The wines are very good, and nice expressions of the grapes and terroirs, but don't expect DRC/Chave/Whomever-like revelations.
no avatar
User

Jonathan Loesberg

Rank

Wine geek

Sun May 24, 2009 11:13 am

by Jonathan Loesberg » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:49 am

The one time I had the Brezeme Pergault, I preferred the regular cuvee. It may have only been that vintage (I don't remember which, but either the 05 or the 06). Unusually for a Texier, I found the Pergault too fat.

I like Texier, but I agree with Rahsaan that he is overhyped. His wines taste reliably like where they come from and often have interesting elements to them. On the other hand, because he distinctly wants Southern Rhones that are more elegant than big, he sometimes just gets austere, as happened with a 99 CdP I tasted recently.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:58 am

If the Cotes du Rhone wines can be gotten for a good price I consider them excellent values. They aren't much beyond that though.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:30 pm

I'd contest the idea that Texier wines as overhyped, because it's hard to see them as hyped. I think most of the people I know/read with tastes similar to mine regard the wines as honest, food-friendly, etc. He obviously aims for higher acids than most Rhone producers, of course. I think of wines as hyped (over is a matter of personal perception) such as Pegau, Donnhoff, Keller, Carlisle, SQN, etc. Where there are people who regard them as the ne plus ultra of their genre. I don't see that kind of hype/evangelism for Texier. I regard them as very good and good value, but never tend to go ga-ga (actually the best score I ever gave to a Texier was for a Macon!)
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:24 pm

Buzz gradually escalated into hyped, and then overhyped, but 'tis only buzz... :wink:
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:30 pm

I've always found his wines to be balanced, never over the top, good acid, go well with food, never blockbusters. Why would anyone expect a Cotes du Rhone to make you go wow?
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sun Jul 12, 2009 9:26 pm

Lou Kessler wrote:Why would anyone expect a Cotes du Rhone to make you go wow?

When the amount of buzz makes me go wow, I always wonder if the wine might also make me go wow. Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't; part of the fun in wine is checking if tips from people whose experience you respect pan out.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:59 am

I think some of the buzz comes from Eric being an occasional wine discussion participant elsewhere (and no, not on eBob). The rest of the buzz is that someone is (thankfully) still making Rhone wines that frequently stay below 14% alcohol.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Jonathan Loesberg

Rank

Wine geek

Sun May 24, 2009 11:13 am

by Jonathan Loesberg » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:23 am

One has to distinguish between his Southern Rhone CdRs, which tend to be nice, reasonably priced wines in a different style that can age well, but, which by themselves, would never create hype and his Brezeme, Hermitage and Cote Roties, which I find generally more impressive. In its initial releases, back in the late 90s, the Brezeme was pretty stunning and fairly inexpensive, genuine Northern Rhone Syrah. I think that has been true of the Brezeme basic in the past couple of years as well. If one thinks of its competition as Croze-Hermitages that now cost $30-40 a bottle, I think it is far better than the talk on this thread has indicated.

I agree he is overhyped, however, which just shows that enthusiasts of hipster wines can go over the top just as much as enthusiasts of Parker points.