The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Good Californian Spoof

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

WTN: Good Californian Spoof

by Saina » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:28 pm

Wade Hostler (from another BB) visits Finland fairly regularly and has slowly been introducing me to Californian wines. Every once in a while I feel like drinking a big bruiser of a wine, an unashamedly spoofy wine. These days happen about once or twice a year, but today was one. With the chunks of bloody meat I made, this paired very well. There was surprisingly high acidity (6,4 g/l) and moderate alcohol (13,5%) for the region. I wouldn't call this elegant, but it was balanced. Moreover it fit my mood perfectly. I think on most other days I would have made a wicked note that James Roscoe hoped for, but not today. Sorry for the disappointment ;)

• 1997 Beringer Vineyards Cabernet Sauvignon Private Reserve - USA, California, Napa Valley (8/1/2006)
    Very dark and youthful. The nose was rather closed, but opened well with a 2 hour decanting: much oak, much depth, much dark fruit, some earthiness and a nice freshness and lift from the cranberry-like fruit and cassis. The palate was voluptiously fruity, with surprisingly fine acidity compared to most Californians I've tried. There is fine depth to the palate as well. The tannins, though soft, are very plentiful and coupled with the fine fruit and high acidity, I feel that this has quite a while to go before being at peak. But it is enjoyable now also. A fine Californian and not at all as over the top as many others I've tried!

Posted from CellarTracker
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

Re: WTN: Good Californian Spoof

by Paul B. » Tue Aug 01, 2006 4:37 pm

I wonder what the etymological origins of the terms, "spoof" and "spoofulated" are. I really missed the boat when they coined them words :!:
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Lou Kessler

Rank

Doesn't buy green bananas

Fri Mar 24, 2006 3:20 pm

by Lou Kessler » Tue Aug 01, 2006 8:30 pm

Good wines from CA do exist, you just have to know which ones.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:16 pm

Otto--Lou said it well. Beringer makes a decent product at the very high end, the kind where all the things you normally don't to happen to a wine make sense. But do beware, this doesn't apply at the other end of the Beringer line. Their low and mid-range products are not for you!
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Tue Aug 01, 2006 9:56 pm

On "spoofulation", Paul see http://www.datamantic.com/joedressner/?1788

On "spoof", the OED gives the following history:

Invented for a card game by Invented by A. Roberts (b. 1852), comedian.]

Starting in the 1880s, attrib. and as adj. Hoaxing, humbugging.

Regards, Bob
no avatar
User

Saina

Rank

Musaroholic

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:07 pm

Helsinki, Finland

by Saina » Wed Aug 02, 2006 9:02 am

Thanks Jenise for the explanations. I've tried the Sbragia LR Chardonnay recently but thought that was way over the top for me. So apparently we should narrow it down to only the top reds? Any idea on the Cab 94 PR? We've got that for the same price so I thought I'd give it a shot the next time I feel like spoof or then put it in some tasting.

-Otto-
I don't drink wine because of religious reasons ... only for other reasons.
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

by Jenise » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:12 pm

Hey, Bob,

Who's that picture of? I've seen various photos--I THOUGHT--of Joe Dressner, and that bat-wing beard and blonder color is definitely not the Joe of my imagination.
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Paul B.

Rank

Hybrid Guru

Wed Mar 22, 2006 11:38 pm

Ontario, Canada

by Paul B. » Wed Aug 02, 2006 2:23 pm

Jenise wrote:and that bat-wing beard

That sure is an innovative facial hairdo, if I do say so myself. I don't think I've ever seen a bat-wing beard before I saw that picture. Whoever it is in the photo, he sure looks like the classic sort of "I did it my way" guy.

About the strangest thing I've ever seen on a guy's face was a chin beard greased up and shaped to look like a downward-pointing unicorn's horn.
http://hybridwines.blogspot.ca
no avatar
User

Robin Garr

Rank

Forum Janitor

Fri Feb 17, 2006 1:44 pm

Louisville, KY

by Robin Garr » Wed Aug 02, 2006 3:13 pm

Jenise wrote:Who's that picture of? I've seen various photos--I THOUGHT--of Joe Dressner, and that bat-wing beard and blonder color is definitely not the Joe of my imagination.

Doesn't Mr. D frequently post wacky photos in place of his own? My understanding is that he's 3 feet 6, weighs 350 pounds, and is as bald as a cue ball, and thus prefers not to post his own picture for the obvious reasons.
no avatar
User

Bob Ross

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Mar 26, 2006 10:39 pm

Franklin Lakes, NJ

by Bob Ross » Wed Aug 02, 2006 4:28 pm

It's tough to say who that is, Jenise. There are many flavors of Joe Dressner on the internet -- and having met and corresponded with him in person and online, there are many flavors of Dressner in his head.

This image, posted by a reputable third party, is very close to the human image I've seen in person and who asserted he was, and who several other people agreed, was Joe Dressner:

http://www.wineterroirs.com/images/slvl ... essner.jpg

But I wouldn't swear to it by any means.

This image from Polaner seems consistent: http://www.polanerselections.com/image.news.php?id=7635

Regards, Bob