The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

Selbach-Oster Riesling Kabinett 2007, Anyone tried it?

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

Re: Selbach-Oster Riesling Kabinett 2007, Anyone tried it?

by Dale Williams » Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:47 am

I like 2007 more than David (a S-Frohlich spatlese was a wild ride last night, a phantasmagoria of flavors), though I've had some slightly disappointing bottles. But like David I really liked the S-O Zelt. Sonn, so would take a chance on the WS (to be clear, I do realize they are totally different sundials).
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

by Salil » Wed Jul 15, 2009 10:49 am

Dale,
The Schafer-Frohlich Spatlesen I've had in 07 were insane (aside from the Goldkap Felseneck Spatlese where I found absurd sulphur levels that spoiled it for me). Heard from an ITB friend who's seriously passionate about Riesling (particularly Schafer-Frohlich) that his 08s are even better with more acid and the same stuffing - so can't wait to start hunting those down. Just curious - which vineyard did you have, the Halenberg or the Felseneck?
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:51 pm

Salil, it was the Monzinger Halenberg. I also bought a lone bottle of the Bock. Felseneck, haven't tried yet. I don't buy many over-$30 Spatlesen (actually, these were $33 each, but Zachys had a $25 coupon if you spent $100 or more, I think my pretax total was about $150, so with discount I paid more like $28). Will post note later, but it was very very good.
Previous