The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Mostly Bordeaux

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

WTN: Mostly Bordeaux

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jul 11, 2009 12:51 pm

Blind tasting notes of some Burgs and Bordeaux.

2006 Chartron Le Fleur - this very inexpensive unoaked Bordeaux is marked as a Sauvignon, but we could have sworn there was a bit of Semillon by the finish. Clean citrus nose, medium body, well put together wine with decent length. A bargain!

2006 Boillot Puligny Montrachet - sweet vanilla in this nose, as well as pear and almond. Clean middle weight with very nice turn of complexity and good length.

1993 Remoissenet Santenay - I was able to nail the vintage based on declining fruit and the acidity. While it was probably better a few years ago, it could still hold its head up - the age showing in the edges, pleasant mature fruit in the nose and fair length. Drink up.

1999 Jacques Prieur Beaune Champs Pimont - a whole different ball game with this tasty wine. Mushrooms and cherries in the nose, and fairly sweet, with the sweetness also manifesting on palate in the fruit. Still working on some tannin but I’d say at peak now with a long plateau ahead. Time to find my case!

1986 d’Angludet - we segued into Bordeaux with this surprising wine. I like Angludet young and never count on it to age, but this had done so quite gracefully. Nice oak hints in the nose sweet entry, smooth and fair length with no tannin. If asked to bet ahead of time I’d have been calling the funeral home for this one.

1985 Lynch Bages - the first of an interesting pair. Definite green element in the nose, but it didn’t come through in the mouth. Quite good fruit and length, tannins resolved and now at peak. I thought it was a smaller wine, perhaps from 1983.

1985 Lynch Bages - second bottle from a different cellar and it showed quite differently. No green tinge to the nose, just a fairly ripe fruit driven nose with less sweet6ness on palate than the other bottle, more tannin and better flavour concentration.

1989 Meyney - I pulled this out from a sealed case I recently took a flyer on (I didn’t know if it had been stored properly and wanted to try a bottle). Dark, with a nice dark fruit nose, very tasty on palate and with good length. No rush but probably approaching plateau. I got a bargain at $400 for the sealed case!

1996 Segla - from a member that keeps insisting on bringing second labels. Decent nose, a bit lacking in complexity, a bit warm and showing some cassis. OK on palate but finishe3d with a hint of bitterness.

1996 d’Issan - a very nice concentrated cassis nose with a bit of capsicum, still dark and fairly tannic, this wine was surprisingly good and is entering the best stage - drink from now on.

1996 Raymond Lafon - showing a fair bit of colour, and with quite a bit of botrytis in the nose, this Sauternes had excellent length and a freshness than led me to choose it as my favourite (more people preferred the next one).

2001 Guiraud - no question that this is a good wine, but it was slightly darker than the other, not as sweet, and had medium body and a slightly less fresh impression, so it got second rank with me. Very good length.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

Re: WTN: Mostly Bordeaux

by David M. Bueker » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:33 pm

Do the cellar conditions for the 2 bottles of Lynch make sense given how the wines showed?
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Bill Spohn

Rank

He put the 'bar' in 'barrister'

Tue Mar 21, 2006 7:31 pm

Vancouver BC

by Bill Spohn » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:03 pm

David M. Bueker wrote:Do the cellar conditions for the 2 bottles of Lynch make sense given how the wines showed?

Yup, better bottle = better cellar conditions
no avatar
User

Chris Kissack

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:42 am

by Chris Kissack » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:15 pm

My best bottles of d'Angludet have been mature, in particular the 1982 and 1983 tasted maybe 6-7 years ago, so not quite where the 1986 is now I guess. I certainly prefer it with some age on. It is a constant source of amusement to me that my 1996 d'Angludets just aren't ready yet, whilst cellartracker shouts at me "drink up, drink up!".

Agree on the 1989 Meyney; I have a few, they are not going to get any better IMO.