The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Wines mostly in NH- Loire, MSR, Bdx,. etc

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: Wines mostly in NH- Loire, MSR, Bdx,. etc

by Dale Williams » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:42 am

So, Monday I went with Betsy to southern NH, where she is playing the Monadnock Music festival for 2 weeks. She's staying in Rindge at Franklin Pierce University, but we drove to Keene for dinner. Unfortunately, we had not made reservations, and our preferred destination (Luca's) was filled, and our backup (Nicola's) was on vacation. We ended up at the Stage Restaurant, a very acceptable tavernish place with nice sidewalk seating. Very good calamari (though the lemon aioli was a tad too sweet), ok salads, good burgers. With the calamari I had a glass of Schmitt Sohne Riesling, which was acceptable off-dry Riesling, somewhat short but inoffensive. C+ The McManis Merlot I had with my burger was pretty awful, very sweet and oakchipping with a (thankfully) short finish. I couldn't finish. C-

The next 2 nights we ate at "home." Modern college living is very different from my UNC dorm circa 1978. Betsy shares a condo with a decent kitchen and living room with 2 other musicians, each has own large bath, and our spacious room had a nice view of the gorgeous lake. I did the shopping while she rehearsed. Night one was a soba/broccoli rabe/chicken/pepper dish, but before dinner I had opened the
2007 Pepiere (Ollivier) Muscadet. I've always liked this wine,but this is best showing yet as it has picked up weight and fruit sweetness. I was worried (well, not REAL worried) it might be a bit lean as an apertif, but it was delicious, all apple & citrus with a long minerally finish. Held up well overnight, too. B+

The dinner wine was the 1994 von Hovel Oberemmeler Hutte Spatlese. Clean and young, only the faintest hint of petrol. Good acidity, peaches and tropical fruits, some slate and saline on finish. Very good. B+

Next night she made 50s style stroganoff, I opened the 1997 Lagrange (St Julien). Fairly solid cassis and black plum fruit, tobacco, a bit of toast. Low acidity, not long enough to qualify as "serious" Bordeaux, but decent mature claret considering vintage. B

So Thursday I headed home (for the first time as an adult riding a Greyhound!), spent some time at office, then came home to cook dinner for my parents, who had been dogsitting. Grilled halibut, squash, and asparagus, plus had some veggie shumai. Wine was the 2002 Pinon "Cuvee Tradition" Vouvray. What a fantastic showing for this wine. On the sweet end of sec-tendre, lovely and full in mouth, honied fruit, Chenin waxiness, long long mineral finish. Beautiful wine. A-

Friday before going to Alex's I had dinner- takeout vegetable lasagna my parents had bought but not eaten. Wine was the 2001 Terre del Barolo Barolo. About what one would expect for a $20 Barolo from a middling co-op in a great year. Correct Nebbiolo cherry and tar flavors, on lighter side, some tannins. not bad. Will see what happens tonight. B

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

Salil

Rank

Franc de Pied

Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:26 pm

albany, ny

Re: WTN: Wines mostly in NH- Loire, MSR, Bdx,. etc

by Salil » Mon Jul 13, 2009 5:32 am

Pinon Vouvray is fantastic. Nice to hear about Lagrange doing well in a weak year - I've only had a couple of their wines but they seem like one of the more consistent 'values' in high end Bordeaux from vintage to vintage.