The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: 7 roses (or, 6 roses and 1 blush, but we have a dupe)

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

WTN: 7 roses (or, 6 roses and 1 blush, but we have a dupe)

by Dale Williams » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:38 am

Last night my local group gathered at Alex's, theme was rose. Not supposed to be dinner, but he had a nice salad, great cheeses, a rabbit pate, etc. Lovely night on the patio, wines were blind:

Pink # 1 Fresh and delicate, cherry and strawberry fruit, clean, good acidity, nice if not enthralling. My guess was Pinot Noir, Alex said actually PN with alittle Syrah. With that we guessed California. 2008 Copain "Les Printemps" Rose. B/B+

Pink # 2 Deep color, but I find the nose offputting and funky. A little poop served with a metallic edge. There's a little petillance, and I think this has undergone a secondary fermentation. Raspberries that have slightly rotted. A couple of people said OK, but I did something I rarely do with this group, and tossed most (Alex feared for his grass). I like natural wines, but this is Coturri-esque. 2008 Domaine de l'Anglore Tavel. D

Pink # 3. No guess on the 2008 Bernard Baudry Chinon Rose, because I brought. Very very light color, could almost pass as a whte. Strawberries and orange peel, long minerally finish, one of my faves but table a bit divided. B+

Pink # 4 Pretty easy to peg this as Southern French. Strawberries and herbs/garrigue, modest length, middling acidity, but tasty. 2008 Croix de Basson Rose (Cotes de Provence). B

Pink # 5 This is a little puzzling. Strawberries and red currants, a little leafy edge. Not especially zippy, but decent flavors. No one guessed South Africa. 2008 Mulderbosch Rose. B-

Pink # 6 Oops, this is sweet. A blush wine. Short, sweet, not quite to nasty level, but not something I'd drink. Sutter Home White Merlot. C-

Pink # 7 - I guessed immediately, but only because of comments when mine was unveiled. The color was like the other bottle of 2008 Bernard Baudry Chinon Rose, but flavors showed much more citrus/grapefruity, and I liked a little less. Maybe because of the sweetness in previous wine? B

Fun night with the guys, I had a nice walk home over golf course while admiring the moon.

Grade disclaimer: I'm a very easy grader, basically A is an excellent wine, B a good wine, C mediocre. Anything below C means I wouldn't drink at a party where it was only choice. Furthermore, I offer no promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency. 
no avatar
User

Jenise

Rank

FLDG Dishwasher

Tue Mar 21, 2006 2:45 pm

The Pacific Northest Westest

Re: WTN: 7 roses (or, 6 roses and 1 blush, but we have a dupe)

by Jenise » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:14 pm

Someone had a lot of nerve bringing the Sutter Home--I presume that was meant as a reality check?
My wine shopping and I have never had a problem. Just a perpetual race between the bankruptcy court and Hell.--Rogov
no avatar
User

Chris Kissack

Rank

Ultra geek

Tue Apr 15, 2008 4:42 am

by Chris Kissack » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:19 pm

So was it that you bring wines blind, and by chance you ended up with the two Baudry's? Things could be worse, I guess! :D
no avatar
User

Dale Williams

Rank

Compassionate Connoisseur

Tue Mar 21, 2006 4:32 pm

Dobbs Ferry, NY (NYC metro)

by Dale Williams » Sun Jul 12, 2009 12:55 pm

Jenise,
of the 3 semi-regular groups I am part of, this is by far the least serious. There is one guy other than myself who is geeky (and ITB), two people who are less serious but know a fair amount and have decent cellars, and three guys who like to have wine but mostly are there for the "male bonding." The guy who brought the Sutter is the least geeky and didn't know it was sweet , it was one of the only pinks in a store he stopped at on way back from visiting son at camp ((he's German, and had just flew back from a job interview day before). He's actually quite a generous guy (even though he's unemployed now).

Chris,
yep, just happenstance. We had both shopped at Zachys (I had planned to bring an Il Mimo, but they were sold out).