The place for all things wine, focused on serious wine discussions.

WTN: Faiveley, Méo-Camuzet, Ridge Mataro, Dr. Loosen, etc.

Moderators: Jenise, Robin Garr, David M. Bueker

no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

WTN: Faiveley, Méo-Camuzet, Ridge Mataro, Dr. Loosen, etc.

by Tim York » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:04 am

During my son’s visit, it has been difficult to get close to the computer, but he has gone out with his daughter so here are some brief notes about the wines consumed over the last few days.

With some reindeer steak, we drank two Burgundies. Gevrey-Chambertin 1er cru “Les Cazetiers” 1991 – Faiveley (récolte du domaine) – Alc. 13% was delicious; although from an unfashionable vintage, it showed good depth and virile backbone with beautifully complex mature fruit showing notes of sour dark cherry and ivy and good length; 17.5/20. We followed with Vosne-Romanée 1er cru “Aux Brulées” 1997 – Domaine Méo-Camuzet which was rounder and more fragrant than the previous but showed less depth and complexity; 16.5/20.

I know that I risk expulsion from the ranks of serious Mosel lovers by liking a wine from Dr. Loosen but his Erdener Treppchen Riesling Spätlese “18” – 1995 – Alc. 8% was delicious; brightly focussed fruit and minerals with bracing acidity making me barely conscious of the sugar alongside secondary aromatic undertones along with a dab of petrol; 17/20.

David Creighton was recently scathing about a recommendation of one of our local wine merchants for a pairing of a certain Saumur-Champigny with asparagus; I tried it with a different cuvée which the asparagus rendered metallic. This time I tried it with the precise recommendation, Saumur-Champigny 2006 – Domaine des Roches Neuves – Alc. 13% and with this wine's rounder fruit and less marked tannic structure the combination worked, if hardly making the gastronomic revelation of the century; 15.5/20.

Beaujolais-Villages 2007 – Domaine Lagneau – Alc. 13% was served initially too warm (c. 19°C) on a hot day and seemed coarse textured and dominated by prune. However a short spell in the cooling sleeve down to about 15°C brought out the freshness and minerals and receded the prunes becoming a likeable and quaffable Bojo; 15.5/20.

If I believed Draper’s ’97 back label, I should have drunk Ridge California Bridgehead Mataro 1995 – Alc.13.5% –within 4-5 years but, for me another 7 years later, it was just fine with its depth and darkening texture of spices and touches of tar together with some mature sweet dark fruit, full body and decent length. The American oak ageing was by now perfectly integrated with its only overt trace being a certain perfume of the nose. There is a family resemblance to Bandol but this was less austere and savoury and a touch sweeter in its fruit; 17/20+.

Coteaux du Languedoc Montpeyroux 1999 – Doamine de l’Aupilhac – Alc. 13.5%, made from a cocktail of Mourvèdre and Carignan30%, Syrah 25%, Grenache and Cinsault, was not dissimilar to the Mataro in a slightly less full bodied and a more savoury vein and minus the perfume. A Languedoc classic; 17/20.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

Tue Mar 28, 2006 8:20 pm

New York, NY

Re: WTN: Faiveley, Méo-Camuzet, Ridge Mataro, Dr. Loosen, etc.

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:20 am

Tim York wrote:I know that I risk expulsion from the ranks of serious Mosel lovers by liking a wine from Dr. Loosen but his Erdener Treppchen Riesling Spätlese “18” – 1995 – Alc. 8% was delicious; brightly focussed fruit and minerals with bracing acidity making me barely conscious of the sugar alongside secondary aromatic undertones along with a dab of petrol...

What does the "18" mean?

I don't really follow closely, but were Loosen's wines better in the 90s?
no avatar
User

Tim York

Rank

Wine guru

Tue May 09, 2006 2:48 pm

near Lisieux, France

by Tim York » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:28 am

Rahsaan wrote:What does the "18" mean?

I don't really follow closely, but were Loosen's wines better in the 90s?

18 is the lot number from the longer AP number. Real geeks like to have that.

I too haven't closely followed the progress of Loosen's quality. I visited in 96 or 97 when the 95s were on sale and I bought a few. Again in 00, I think, when we tasted a range of 99s which I thought a bit too rich.
Tim York
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:35 am

Tim York wrote:18 is the lot number from the longer AP number. Real geeks like to have that.

Yes, ok.
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:54 am

I'm dying to try some Meo-Camuzet, but it's soooo expensive...
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:04 pm

Tim York wrote:I know that I risk expulsion from the ranks of serious Mosel lovers by liking a wine from Dr. Loosen but his Erdener Treppchen Riesling Spätlese “18” – 1995 – Alc. 8% was delicious; brightly focussed fruit and minerals with bracing acidity making me barely conscious of the sugar alongside secondary aromatic undertones along with a dab of petrol; 17/20.

Do not worry, Tim! You are allowed to like all vintages up to and including the 1997! 8)

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L

PS. But Ernie is still doing well; at least there is a brand new Porsche Cayenne parked outside his estate...
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:52 pm

Fredrik L wrote:Do not worry, Tim! You are allowed to like all vintages up to and including the 1997!

How about 1998? I really liked the 1998 Ürziger Würzgarten Auslese Goldkapsel.
no avatar
User

Fredrik L

Rank

Wine guru

Sun Feb 24, 2008 5:54 pm

by Fredrik L » Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:58 pm

It was not all downhill, but if had to pinpoint the last year they could really hold a candle to the competition, that would be 1997. However, the wine you mention was a success in my book, too!

Greetings from Sweden / Fredrik L
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:06 pm

Fredrik L wrote:It was not all downhill, but if had to pinpoint the last year they could really hold a candle to the competition, that would be 1997. However, the wine you mention was a success in my book, too!

Fair enough. And to be clear, I wasn't trying to generalize about the entire vintage from one wine. Just asking an honest question.
no avatar
User

Maureen N

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:57 am

by Maureen N » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:41 am

I think Loosen made stunning 01s and I love his 98s - am hopeful for his 07s based upon an erdener trepchen kabinett I drank at the slanted door last fall and I think he was also successful in 04, at least at the gk level. Now, he should be more consistent than that, I agree, but let's not dismiss him so readily.
maureen
no avatar
User

Oswaldo Costa

Rank

Wine guru

Mon Nov 12, 2007 6:30 am

São Paulo, Brazil

by Oswaldo Costa » Mon Jul 13, 2009 6:13 am

Hi, Maureen, and welcome! We know you (a little bit) from Rahsaan's posts.
"I went on a rigorous diet that eliminated alcohol, fat and sugar. In two weeks, I lost 14 days." Tim Maia, Brazilian singer-songwriter.
no avatar
User

Rahsaan

Rank

Wild and Crazy Guy

New York, NY

by Rahsaan » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:48 am

Maureen Nelson wrote:I think Loosen made stunning 01s and I love his 98s - am hopeful for his 07s based upon an erdener trepchen kabinett I drank at the slanted door last fall and I think he was also successful in 04, at least at the gk level. Now, he should be more consistent than that, I agree, but let's not dismiss him so readily.

So you buy them across vintages? And across vineyards? I know even the biggest skeptics usually give respect to the Erdener Pralat, but not necessarily to all the other bottlings.
no avatar
User

David M. Bueker

Rank

Riesling Guru

Thu Mar 23, 2006 11:52 am

Connecticut

by David M. Bueker » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:07 pm

I bought a fair number of 2001s from Loosen (Wehlener Sonnenuhr Kabinett, Urziger Wurzgarter Spatlese and Spatlese GK Auction, Treppchen Auslese & Pralat Auslese GK (non-auction)), and like them all but only love the two gold capsules where the terroir seems to outshine the creamy sameness of the reat of the wines.
Decisions are made by those who show up
no avatar
User

Maureen N

Rank

Wine geek

Sun Mar 11, 2007 1:57 am

by Maureen N » Mon Jul 13, 2009 11:49 pm

Rahsaan wrote:
Maureen Nelson wrote:I think Loosen made stunning 01s and I love his 98s - am hopeful for his 07s based upon an erdener trepchen kabinett I drank at the slanted door last fall and I think he was also successful in 04, at least at the gk level. Now, he should be more consistent than that, I agree, but let's not dismiss him so readily.

So you buy them across vintages? And across vineyards? I know even the biggest skeptics usually give respect to the Erdener Pralat, but not necessarily to all the other bottlings.

I think his strongest spatlese is urziger wurzgarten, with the trepchen just behind. A quick glance at cellartracker reveals that about half of my loosen holdings are from the wurzgarten, with 25$ from pralat. At the gk level, I tend to buy what I can find at a good price altho again primarily pralat and wurzgarten. I don't buy all of his vintages however because I do find some inconsistency (unlike selbach, e.g., who will always make wines I love so long as I love the vintage characteristics).
maureen